Too Much time in Seward?

gwhizma

My two boys 14 & 16 and I are arriving on a late flight Aug 2 to Anchorage. Our plan is to catch the 6:45am train to Seward on the 3rd. On the 4th we have a fishin/wildlife tour schedueled with Saltwater Lodge along with lodging there for the 4th and 5th. Our cruise leaves on the 6th at 8:00pm. We are planning to do Exit Glacer and Kenai Fjords Tour. Maybe Seaveys dogs. Is the dog sled tour worth while? Any suggestions when we should do what. Will we need to rent a car? Would our time be better spent somewhere else for a day? Thank you for your advise.

I guess I have to ask, how are you getting to Exit Glacier, and how long is your Kenai Fjords Tour. Exit is about 8 mile from town, and takes anywhere from a few hours to most of a day. The Kenai Fjords Tours are from 4 to 12 hours long. Something else you could do is the Sea Life Center, that usually takes a few hours to go through. DW and I have been through it a couple of times, and really enjoy watching the Puffins diving in the two story tank. The town is kind of spread out, so you might want to rent a car get around

My opinion, where you are staying, you definately need a car. If you are considering glacier dog sledding, look at Godwin's.

You may want to spend a day in Anchorage, plenty to see and do there too. Request visitor guides and decide. http://www.anchorage.net http://www.sewardak.com

Thank you for your imput. I think I'll rent a car at least one of those days to get to Exit Glacier. Is there any difference between Godwin's dog sledding and Costal or a crusie ship tour from Skagway or Juneau? Staying in Anchorage for an extra night is a good idea. I'll order the info. Anyone have any ideas the teenagers might enjoy?

Your staying at my favorite place in Seward, Saltwater lodge. I'm sure your going to have a great charter with them. What time is that? If not till after 11am, stay a day in Anch and take the train on the 4th?

Out your door will be Sunny Cove Kayaking. I recommend you consider that with your boys. Also Caines Head Trail, a top 10 trail in the state. Do make sure to check on tide levels before hiking out there.

Godwin Glacier does a good job and has been around here for a couple years. I would do that over Ididaride without thinking twice about it,no comparision. Ididaride is much cheaper, and a good alternative look into the mushing world, but the helicopter flight and the real sled on snow..what more can I say?

I don't feel you need a rental car, esp with what they charge!! Seward is small and easy to get around. You can do a taxi charter and get the Sealife Center, town tour, Ididaride, and Exit Glacier all done in one day cheaper than a car rental and learn info from a local!

Thank you for taking the time to respond. You guys are great!! I'm not sure what time exactly our charter is. I got the impression it was an all day type of thing. Have not worked out the details yet. Is PJs taxi would call for a taxi charter? Dogsledding from the cruise or from Seward? Can't

Ok, I did a little checking for you and your charter is @ 7:30 am from the small boat harbor, you'll meet at the bakery. You'll get back around 5pm. I suggest you call Jim and confirm yourself as it will help in planning your things. If your arriving by train on the 3rd, where are you staying?

You can do both types of dogsledding in Seward, Ididaride which is wheeled and Godwin, the heli/glacier. There are other ports you can do both but if any all possible do the heli/glacier, at any port! It really is spectacular!

PJS Taxi has been around a long time and I'm sure they could work out a good private charter. :)

Thanks for checking on the times. I was trying to see if we could do a Bear sightseeing tour on the 3rd and then come to Seward on the 4th. I have great info from these boards for the Bears. I just need to see if it can ALL be done. Yes I will confirm all with Jim. Thanks.

Bear viewing sounds fun. That would be a good way to spend a day. Can I come with?? :)

It ALL can be done with good planning and your well on your way now! Please tell us all about when you get back.

Your welcome on the info. It gets really slow during winter and this actually is a little escape. Gets me looking forward to summer and being busy..... Of course once summer is over I'm glad for the break and getting the town back ....Did I actually type that? lol < big wink> Is it summer yet? That wind sure is howling today!

Archived