Calling home

DEBBIE 275

I don't recall seeing any pay phones but wasn't looking.

Last week I used the WiFi calling feature on my phone to call from Cozumel. With my carrier I can call a domestic number for no charge but not a number in Cozumel from Cozumel. WiFi was not the strongest so call quality was a little broken up but still understandable. If you do this make sure network connections are off or set for no roaming allowed to avoid international roaming charges.

coin operated pay phones are rare in Mexico. Most pay phones use a pre-paid calling card, like a credit card. You can buy one of these at any convenience store like a SIX or OXXO store, which are all over and most have the phone card type public phones. There are any number of these phones around at various locations and on the street. They have LED displays that show you how much is left on your card. There's a gas station/convenience store across the road from Puerta Maya and the International Pier.

I think you have to buy a minimum of 30-40 pesos. Foreign calls to the US are now around 5 pesos a minute from these phones. DON'T use any phone advertising foreign calls via your CC. They charge a second mortgage for even a few minutes.:eek: You can usually factor 13 pesos per US $ in determining the amount you may need. A store may only credit you 10 pesos though, so ask.