Blue Hole or River Tubing - Iffy swimmers

jacmo24

Hi - We're using Courtney Taylor for our day in Jamaica. We just can't decide what to do. I really think Blue Hole looks special. However, DS and DH are not confident swimmers. Are there areas to soak, play etc without it being extremely deep? I can bring our own life vests for them to float if need be. I think DS would enjoy it once he got there. I'm a good swimmer but won't be jumping off of the falls. I'm clumsy. LOL

River Tubing is really a 2nd choice at this point for us I think. But we'll do that if Blue Hole just isn't a good idea.

I'd love input and/or pics of Blue Hole if you can sit around and play on areas that are not jump offs and deep etc.

Thanks!

Hi - We're using Courtney Taylor for our day in Jamaica. We just can't decide what to do. I really think Blue Hole looks special. However, DS and DH are not confident swimmers. Are there areas to soak, play etc without it being extremely deep? I can bring our own life vests for them to float if need be. I think DS would enjoy it once he got there. I'm a good swimmer but won't be jumping off of the falls. I'm clumsy. LOL

River Tubing is really a 2nd choice at this point for us I think. But we'll do that if Blue Hole just isn't a good idea.

I'd love input and/or pics of Blue Hole if you can sit around and play on areas that are not jump offs and deep etc.

Thanks!

No need to bring your own life vests to the Blue Hole, they have them there. I would hate to waste the suitcase space by bringing them- Save it for all the souvineers you will be purchasing! Yes, it is very deep, but very calm.

No time to sit around and soak, you keep moving, hiking and exploring.

Your DH and DS can jump from very low areas, but do need to be able to swim. The guides are wonderful at assisting if help is needed.

We used Libertytoursjamaica and had help from Ricardo the entire time

we were there. What a memorable day! The Blue Hole is not to be missed.

Our group enjoyed ourselves to the max!

Thank you so much for your reply. Both can swim. DS tends to ... mmm... think he can't swim? He's had years of lessons and does fine when he needs to. But won't snorkel without a vest etc. DH grew up by the ocean but the swimming he learned and save your life swimming are different I think. He does better with something that helps him float (he's a very big athlete that sinks). Me, I float like there's no tomorrow. LOL

Really appreciate your input. I am putting it back on the list. If nothing else, to see. Did you see any guides do dives themselves? DH would really like to see that.

Thank you so much for your reply. Both can swim. DS tends to ... mmm... think he can't swim? He's had years of lessons and does fine when he needs to. But won't snorkel without a vest etc. DH grew up by the ocean but the swimming he learned and save your life swimming are different I think. He does better with something that helps him float (he's a very big athlete that sinks). Me, I float like there's no tomorrow. LOL

Really appreciate your input. I am putting it back on the list. If nothing else, to see. Did you see any guides do dives themselves? DH would really like to see that.

We visited the Blue Hole last summer with Peat Taylor Tours. We loved our visit to the Blue Hole. This secluded piece of paradise with its turquoise pools, hidden caves, cascading waterfall and Tarzan rope swing was the highlight of our Jamaican vacation.

There are some areas that are deep, so if you are a weak or non-swimmer life vests would be recommended. Our guides did dive off a high embankment and the waterfall.

If you're interested to learn more about our experience at the Blue Hole, please check out my review on Trip Advisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g147312-d1997485-r176527386-Blue_Hole-Ocho_Rios_Saint_Ann_Parish_Jamaica.html

I have also put together a Youtube video of our time at the Blue Hole.

[YOUTUBE]vGaWG_6i45o[/YOUTUBE]

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a very iffy swimmer and we're doing the Dunn's River Falls, tubing, and Blue Hole excursion from Peat Taylor Tours. I asked him if there would be life jackets available and he said yes. Still a little nervous about jumping in though. My fiance is a great swimmer so I think he will love it.

I'm a very iffy swimmer and we're doing the Dunn's River Falls, tubing, and Blue Hole excursion from Peat Taylor Tours. I asked him if there would be life jackets available and he said yes. Still a little nervous about jumping in though. My fiance is a great swimmer so I think he will love it.

We did the same three excursions with Peat Taylor Tours and had an awesome time. There are also opportunities to jump off a platform or high embankment during the tubing excursion, however as with the Blue Hole, you are not obligated to make the jumps if you are uncomfortable with this.

If you're interested, I have attached my video's of our experience River Tubing and Dunns River Falls.

River Tubing

[YOUTUBE]uN0stc_n5TE[/YOUTUBE]

Dunns River Falls

[YOUTUBE]1ELKsoLnx50[/YOUTUBE]