Getting to a beach in San Diego

hello,

I'm on the 4 day cruise that stops in San Diego...Is the cruise port within walking distance of a good beach? My group that I'm traveling with just wants to make sand castles and hang out on the beach.

Im having some issues finding info online..

Sorry, but I'm pretty sure there's no beach within walking distance of the pier, which is in the city. Plenty of other stuff to see and do, but no beach. You'd need a cab or public transportation to get to any beach. The closest might be to take the ferry right near the pier to Coronado Island - a very quick trip. There's a tiny beach right near the Coronado landing, if you truly only want a spot to relax and make sand castles. There are also some cute shops and restaurants right there. In the summer there's a shuttle from the ferry landing to the beautiful beach on the West side of the island, but I think it's already discontinued until next summer.

Someone else may be able to provide public transportation details to other beaches.

Edited by Kartgv

A cab to the beach in Coronado would not cost very much and well worth the trip. The ferry will take you over the island, and there is a small sandy area to hang out that's great for small children. But if you are after waves, the other side of the island near the Hotel Del is the place to be. You could easily catch a return cab at the taxi stand at the Del too.

Edited by Melcoug