How busy is Nelsons Dockyard?

Yertiz1883

On the day our cruise liner is in Antigua (Feb 2015) there are 4 others all arriving within an hour of each other, 0800-0900.

Nelsons Dockyard is a must see for us, and we would do it on our own, not via the ships itinerary.

With so many cruise liners in port, i am concerned Nelsons Dockyard could be over run with day visitors?

Any feedback or advice would be great. Thanks

When I was there this march (and we had beside our small RCI Jewel (2500 Pax) an other small vessel in town (maybe 600 Pax)) Nelson's Dockyard was not busy at all. I was quite surprised about that.

On the way to Nelson's Dockyard I was the only tourist in the public bus

(Bus 17 about 1.50 US each way) and I have not seen any obvious tour groupes at the place.

In my eyes the majority of people on a caribbean cruise go rather on a boat tour or a beach ressort then for sightseeing.

• 4 weeks later...

Thankyou both for your replies.What time did you arrive at Nelsons Dockyard, did you make your own way or as part of an organised tour? How long should we allow for a casual walk around. Undecided at mo about visiting Shirley Heights.

In addition we want to take in a beach, with beach bar, although I have read on this forum that beaches with bars can become very crowded early afternoon, and I am wondering if best to do beach first followed by Nelsons Dockyard. I guess if there are decent eating establishments at Nelsons we could eat there before going to a beach.

Any further advice would be great please.

Edited by Yertiz1883

I can't remember the exact time but it was likely around 2pm. We did it as part of a tour with Voyages Antiqua which is a family run tour company. It was a group tour but the father had taken a large group zip-lining or something so Dudette and I were the only ones in the van with the son....which was terrific. Not being beach people I really can't offer you any advice but I am sure that they will accommodate a beach stop.

http://www.voyagesantigua.com/en