Go Pro or Other brand for still pictures for novice

FireEater

I am a novice to cameras and have been looking at Go Pro. Looks like it works great for videos, but what about still photo's? Is it too much of a action video type of electronic, and less of a good quality still picture camera ?

I just started looking a few days ago as all I have now is a point and shoot Kodak C180 and a cell phone to use, which I might say, have been taking mighty fine pictures.

Not sure if I want to invest $300 plus for a camera that will produce the same as what I am holding now.

I also wonder if the 3 version will be just as good as a 4 version for still pictures.

What are some good choices for a novice, wanting good pictures when on cruises that are close to $300 or so ?? I guess zoom is a must along with being able to take it underwater and at night or in somewhat dark places....

I know I am rambling on, but I want to be smart about my next camera, if in fact, I need one...well ok, I do not need one, I just have a few bucks burning a hole in my pocket.... ;)

Any help appreciated. :cool:

My .02: You do not want a GoPro for stills.

No zoom, super wide angle lens, except for the latest model - they stink in low light, and no viewfinder to compose without using an app or lcd back.

My Galaxy Note 3 takes MUCH better stills than my GoPro 3, I can edit and adjust them with multiple apps, and is way easier to use all around.

My GoPro gives me the occasional cool "in your face" close ups, weird but unique fisheye architectural shots, and of course great underwater or harsh environment shots I couldn't get any other way.

Thanks for the 02 cents.

Yea I am past the surfing, hang gliding, diving, mountain climbing life style. Did that all 30 years ago. I just want a good zoom, low light capability, easy to view prior to taking the picture, underwater taking camera. I bought one of those throw away underwater cameras on my last cruise. Was not impressed at the quality that it produced.

I see go pro offers the underwater option even on their basic Hero model for only $129. Without the zoom capability though, Think I will keep looking.

Any problem with the casing leaking when taking underwater pictures??

I looked at waterproof cameras a few times and I've always been disappointed. Unless you spend quite a bit, it just seems like you have to sacrifice quality and zoom for waterproofing. I recently went with the Sony RX100 for most the standard carry-around camera and I just purchased the GoPro for underwater stuff. With the Nikon D5300 for more serious photography.

Check out the sample pictures of whatever cameras you consider at dpreview to make sure you're satisfied with what you're getting. Also search google for "underwater camera reviews 2014" (and 2013) to get some detailed feedback on what is available.

One other alternative - get a decent Canon or Nikon point and shoot that has an available underwater housing. At one time we bought one of those, used it on a trip, and then sold it on Ebay for what we paid for it, so it's not too much of a risk to try that approach.

Well, I threw caution to the wind and decided on a

Fujifilm XP70 16 MP Digital Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD (Yellow).

For a novice like myself, it has better specs then my Kodak C180 plus I can take it snorkeling.

That along with a few added items, and I think I will be just fine for still pictures and some videos I can edit using my Apple computer....

Well, I threw caution to the wind and decided on a

Fujifilm XP70 16 MP Digital Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD (Yellow).

For a novice like myself, it has better specs then my Kodak C180 plus I can take it snorkeling.

That along with a few added items, and I think I will be just fine for still pictures and some videos I can edit using my Apple computer....

My son has this camera and has done quite a bit with it :D

Pros:

Quick access to take a pic or start the video

Onboard editing (clipping)

He accidentally opened his camera underwater and we were able to bring it back. We put it under the bathroom dryers for hours. It developed a ghost image which eventually went away. Be careful with the lock because it can work its way opened in a bag or pocket.

Cons:

Hi-Res is worthless because of the amount of battery it takes.

(Avg Res goes longer and is nice res)

The audio playback is awful (from the camera)

Cant film while the camera is plugged in. When you plug it in to charge it goes into usb mode.

Edited by Athankfulheart

My son has this camera and has done quite a bit with it :D

Pros:

Quick access to take a pic or start the video

Onboard editing (clipping)

He accidentally opened his camera underwater and we were able to bring it back. We put it under the bathroom dryers for hours. It developed a ghost image which eventually went away. Be careful with the lock because it can work its way opened in a bag or pocket.

Cons:

Hi-Res is worthless because of the amount of battery it takes.

(Avg Res goes longer and is nice res)

The audio playback is awful (from the camera)

Cant film while the camera is plugged in. When you plug it in to charge it goes into usb mode.

Thanks for the info.

I got the camera in a few days ago and started playing around with it.

After a more thorough review and testing, I will give my 2 cents of it...