Ideas for a port day in Puerto Vallarta in March.

ynotpaul

My partner and I are cruising on the Grand Princess from SF to Puerto Vallarta in March. We will be in PV on a Tuesday. Are cabs easy to grab near the cruise terminal? Which resorts sell day passes or allow visitors? Where to go for happy hour and dinner before returning to the ship?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My partner and I are cruising on the Grand Princess from SF to Puerto Vallarta in March. We will be in PV on a Tuesday. Are cabs easy to grab near the cruise terminal? Which resorts sell day passes or allow visitors? Where to go for happy hour and dinner before returning to the ship?

Yes, Taxi cabs are readily available at the cruise docks. You can always walk out to the main street and flag a taxi. Tell them to take you to the Blue Chairs Resort. They will know it very well. I think it's about 60-80 pesos or about 6-8 US$. Confirm the price before you get into the taxi. Taxi accept US$. It's about 30 minute taxi ride thru the town to the south side of the city. The Blue Chairs is a gay hotel across the street from the beach. They have the Blue chairs restaurant and the beach with lounger, umbrellas and full waiter service. Loungers are free, but they do expect you to buy food and/or drinks. There is a small dining area too up from the beach. Next door is the Green Chairs. It's a larger area with full waiter service but no hotel connected to it. I prefer the Green Chairs, but either place is nice and very popular. Staff will set you up with lounger and umbrellas. No charge. But be forewarned that beach vendor are always present and sometimes annoying; however, a nice "no gracias" should suffice and will move then along. Everyone goes to the roof top of the Blue Chairs hotel for happy with go go boys and the famous PV sunset. The views are breathtaking.

As far a dinner...PV has a ton of great restaurants. La Palapa is right on the beach and a short walk on the beach from the Blue Chairs. It really doesn't get any more spectacular & romantic then this place at sunset. You can also walk (7-8 blocks) from the Blue chairs to Alta Olas Avenue. There you will find numerous bars and restaurant to choice from. The Swedes Bar and Restaurant & Apaches Bistro are both gay owned and operated. Timing is going to be a major factor since it's a 30 minutes taxi ride back to the ship plus you have to be on board 30 minutes before the ship sails. Traffic can be heavy during rush hour in PV so plan according.

Edited by COMBOY

Thanks much, Comboy. Your insights and suggestions are appreciated. This is our first Princess cruise. We have done RSVP cruises in the past, so we are going on this cruise as a sort of trial run. We're lucky as we can walk to the ship in SF and we are looking forward to the Mexican Riviera. Happy "cruising" to you!

You might want to consider a walk along the malecon before hitting Blue Chairs. This sea wall sidewalk has sculpture and art all along it. We took shared a taxi with a another couple we "met on board" that gay cruisers website to the downtown area and had a nice stroll. At the end, we had our first cocktail, then they headed to Blue a Chairs and we returned to the ship to pick up hubby's parents for our non gay afternoon activities.

Yes, Taxi cabs are readily available at the cruise docks. You can always walk out to the main street and flag a taxi. Tell them to take you to the Blue Chairs Resort. They will know it very well. I think it's about 60-80 pesos or about 6-8 US$. Confirm the price before you get into the taxi. Taxi accept US$. It's about 30 minute taxi ride thru the town to the south side of the city. The Blue Chairs is a gay hotel across the street from the beach. They have the Blue chairs restaurant and the beach with lounger, umbrellas and full waiter service. Loungers are free, but they do expect you to buy food and/or drinks. There is a small dining area too up from the beach. Next door is the Green Chairs. It's a larger area with full waiter service but no hotel connected to it. I prefer the Green Chairs, but either place is nice and very popular. Staff will set you up with lounger and umbrellas. No charge. But be forewarned that beach vendor are always present and sometimes annoying; however, a nice "no gracias" should suffice and will move then along. Everyone goes to the roof top of the Blue Chairs hotel for happy with go go boys and the famous PV sunset. The views are breathtaking.

As far a dinner...PV has a ton of great restaurants. La Palapa is right on the beach and a short walk on the beach from the Blue Chairs. It really doesn't get any more spectacular & romantic then this place at sunset. You can also walk (7-8 blocks) from the Blue chairs to Alta Olas Avenue. There you will find numerous bars and restaurant to choice from. The Swedes Bar and Restaurant & Apaches Bistro are both gay owned and operated. Timing is going to be a major factor since it's a 30 minutes taxi ride back to the ship plus you have to be on board 30 minutes before the ship sails. Traffic can be heavy during rush hour in PV so plan according.

I have spent a lot of time in PV and you are spot on..

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl