Dunn's River Falls ~ On your Own?

QTPieRye

We are a group of 8 travelling to Ocho Rios in January and have heard it is a very short taxi ride from the cruise port to the falls. We heard that once you pay your entrance to the park, you can enjoy the falls and beach as you wish. Has anyone does the falls on their own and what was your experience?

yep

I've never done DRF as an excursion - always DIY - MANY times since mid 80's

taxi is kinda $$ given the short distance but that's the way it is - you pay for a round trip .. tell the driver what time you want to leave ... he'll try to tell you. Don't worry .. if your driver does not show, the dispatcher knows you paid round trip and will just put you in a different ride

you can use plastic for the admission charge - admission is for all day in the park. Climbing the falls is included.

For locker, snacks and if you decide to use a guide bring some small bills. US is fine . . .

Rates For Dunn's River Falls & Park

These are entrance rates for Dunn's River Falls & Park (effective April 1, 2009)

Non-Resident Adults - US$15

Non-Resident Children (2-11 years) - US$12

http://www.dunnsriverja.com/

You can do it on your own. My mom and I visited via a Princess shore excursion. We loved our excursion but didn't love Jamaica. A lot of rude vendors (more so than in Mexico). At the falls it was very difficult to even walk to the falls. However, we did walk to the falls. My mom wasn't feeling all that well that day so she hung out by the side of the falls. I went into the Falls water and enjoyed some time relaxing under a "waterfall" It really was great and the only thing that made me like Jamaica. I can't imagine booing a cruise again the include this port. Contrary to all the ads we have seen for many years the Jamaican people were not friendly and might have been the rudeist people I have experienced on a cruise.:eek::eek::eek: