Mom has emphysema - trip insurance?

tbmrt

My mom has suffered with emphysema for 14 years. She has been in Stage IV for awhile now, is of sound mind, but is on oxygen 24/7.

I've been reading about trip insurance and am so confused. I've read that sometimes the insurance company doesn't pay because the relative could be considered to have a pre-existing condition. Other places say I had to buy it soon after my first deposit on cruise. I'm still before my final payment date.

Would appreciate your recommendations to questions I should pose to insurance agents. From what I'm reading online in other places, it says "no problem", I'd be covered in case she got extremely sick or passed away.

Thank you.

You generally need to buy within about 14 days of your initial deposit to have pre-existing conditions covered.

If you want to pick up insurance, I suggest you contact someone at the trip insurance store with expertise to discuss your specific situation since you know there is a condition.

Also, tell them if she is cruising or if you are cruising and wants find out if you would have coverage if something happens to her and you need to return mid trip or cancel last minute.

Edited by BullDawg91

There are some insurance companies/policies (some CSA and HTH policies are the first that come to mind) that let you buy a policy with a pre-ex waiver up until final payment. There are others that do not apply the pre-ex clause to non-traveling family members. (Travelex is the first I can think of.)