Olden Excursion

Last time we visited Olden we did the Briksdal glacier excursion.Looking for suggestions for an excursion or DIY trip to do this time.

Hi, the Kjenndal Glacier is very impressive. Although it is only about 15 miles from Olden, we could only get there using a ships excursion, as there was no public transport option.

Hotshot 80

When we visited the Briksdal glacier it was about a 45 minute walk to the glacier from the drop off point. Do you have to walk far from the drop off point to get to the kjenndal glacier?

• 4 months later...

Has anyone been to Oden this summer?

I have some of the same questions as the above posters. Any Independent tour groups that have internet sites?

And which glacier trip would be better. To the Briksdal or the Kjenndalen glacier? The ship has excursions to both of these places and we are trying to make a decision.

thanks for any help you can give.

We were in Olden in June. I looked for independent excursions, but my search was not fruitful. There are public buses you can take to Briksdal (other threads discuss this option), and I saw a tent at the pier where one could book excursions (don't know the details because we made plans before arriving at Olden). Olden is a very small town.

Following the advice of Icruiser (look up his excellent thread on Alesund and the fjords), we chose the Kjenndalen Glacier tour offered by our ship. Visiting the Briksdal Glacier would have involved a lot of walking on uneven surfaces, and as it so happens, I injured my knee the day before our flight to Heathrow on our way to the cruise.

Our tour took us on a cruise (half an hour?) across Lovanet Lake. Very scenic. We then had pancakes and coffee at a cafe on the lake, and continued to the glacier. One has to walk five minutes (on a mostly level path) to the observation point from which you can see the glacier at a distance. The glacier has retreated a lot in the past 20 years or so, thus it was not very impressive by itself, but the whole tour took us past places of majestic beauty. The bus stopped on a bridge from which one could see the glacier before we arrived to the observation point's parking lot . So mobility issues would not have prevented someone from admiring the glacier and taking photos without having to walk to the observation point.

In sum, it was a beautiful day in the fjords.