Anchor Arms Hotel - Anchorage Info Please !!

Chetsky

I saw the Anchor Arms Hotel advertised on the anchorage.net site for $59.00. We get in late at nite and just need a place to sleep for 4-5 hours before our train trip to McKinley. It is located on Eagle St. between 4th and 5th Ave. - in what looks like the downtown area. I'm certainly not expecting the Four Seasons for $59 but I don't want to get "raped, robbed or pillaged" either. Anyone know about or have information about this hotel - is it in a "safe" area a dump or . . .?

This motel has a few rough edges, to be sure. It's a short cab ride to the train, and as long as you don't expect much, it may suit you nicely. I used to stay there a couple of times a year for the same reason you're looking at it - it was really cheap and I only wanted a quick snooze and shower. Some rooms are worse than others, and if you're given a bad one, ask for something better - they may be willing to accommodate you. It does attract the lower end of Alaska society, but hopefully you'll get a night with no drunks - it's safe but gets noisy sometimes.

Murray

And it's really around nothing else in the regards to food or really anything else. I would term it as being off the beaten path of what I consider downtown.

Also, as Murray has stated the clientale is on the lower end. Also, the police here have started cracking down really hard on the homeless camps, so the lower end establishments in town do pick up some of that slack. And with the fact that this is within walking distance of our biggest homeless shelter and meal provider that may affect the clientale also.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Archived