Recommended settings for GoPro/Sony A6000

acwmom

I haven't had my GoPro out in a while, and it still has the same settings as my Caribbean cruise last year, but this year, we are doing a river cruise from Paris to Normandy with a stay in Paris a few days prior. Any recommended setting changes? We will be doing some bike riding along the Seine, and in Paris, just walking around. I have the chest mount that I am considering. I used the wide angle in the Caribbean, but am thinking it might distort things more than I'd like on this trip.

As far as the A6000 goes, I just got it for Christmas, and haven't had a chance to play with it much either. Is autofocus decent? Other recommended settings for any specific situations?

Thanks!

Robin

As far as the A6000 goes, I just got it for Christmas, and haven't had a chance to play with it much either. Is autofocus decent? Other recommended settings for any specific situations?

Thanks!

Robin

GoPro...I don't know GoPro. :(

On the other hand I speak fluent A6000! :)

All I can say is play with the settings and get used to the controls. If you have the time, pick a scene in your yard and try out settings one at a time and see what they do.

Autofocus is spectacular in good light and good in bad light. P (program mode) is very clever though I prefer A (aperture mode) for more direct control of depth of field. If Non P modes worry you at this point, don't be worried about P mode. It was designed to make the basic decisions for you and it does it quite well.

Learn where exposure compensation is located (down press on the 4-way controller by default) and practice with it to compensate for auto exposure with sunrises and sunsets.

Set your ISO to AUTO and set the top limit to 3200. Up to 3200 is very clean and if you need more, you can always set it manually for that shot.

Extra batteries. I seldom use more than two in a day but I carry four (I have put a "fresh" battery in and found it to be one I forgot to charge, so lesson learned). Wasabi brand batteries from Amazon are pretty good if you don't want to pop for the Sony ones.

All I can say is play with the settings and get used to the controls.

Yes, I repeated that last one. I meant to. It's really important.

Enjoy your trip and your A6000!

Dave

Edited by pierces

I haven't had my GoPro out in a while, and it still has the same settings as my Caribbean cruise last year, but this year, we are doing a river cruise from Paris to Normandy with a stay in Paris a few days prior. Any recommended setting changes? We will be doing some bike riding along the Seine, and in Paris, just walking around. I have the chest mount that I am considering. I used the wide angle in the Caribbean, but am thinking it might distort things more than I'd like on this trip.

Thanks!

Robin

For the a6000, I'd highly suggest buying this book:

http://www.friedmanarchives.com/alpha6000/

It's fantastic. He goes through each setting in a way that's easy to understand and really explains how to get the most out of the camera.