Carnatal Natal

gymfreak

Please make sure your expectations of this event are realistic.

Carnaval in Salvador and most of the micaretas (out of season Carnavals) are about the music. You will be among thousands of tightly packed, singing, probably intoxicated, jumping, arm waving, dancing, screaming, moving young people, many women seated on the shoulders of their male companions, who know every word of every song of the favorites they are there to see. This year features Claudia Leite, Babado Novo and Ivete Sangalo, among others, at the hot, humid, nightly concerts, which start quite late and go until the early hours of the morning.

Take a look at the video on the official site, which also has a schedule, and on YouTube.

http://www.confiramais.com.br/carnatal-programacao-e-atracoes-do-festival/

If you decide to go, do not take or wear anything whatsoever of value, including footwear which should be somewhat protective, watch your pockets, and stay hydrated.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Please make sure your expectations of this event are realistic.

Carnaval in Salvador and most of the micaretas (out of season Carnavals) are about the music. You will be among thousands of tightly packed, singing, probably intoxicated, jumping, arm waving, dancing, screaming, moving young people, many women seated on the shoulders of their male companions, who know every word of every song of the favorites they are there to see. This year features Claudia Leite, Babado Novo and Ivete Sangalo, among others, at the hot, humid, nightly concerts, which start quite late and go until the early hours of the morning.

Take a look at the video on the official site, which also has a schedule, and on YouTube.

http://www.confiramais.com.br/carnatal-programacao-e-atracoes-do-festival/

If you decide to go, do not take or wear anything whatsoever of value, including footwear which should be somewhat protective, watch your pockets, and stay hydrated.

Thanks for the info. As we are there for a day visit I don't ink we could consider this. Besides it sounds like we may be the oldest by some distance!

Still I'm sure it's a lot of fun

Vicki

Older people would probably buy entry to the camarotes (private boxes, usually with seating, food and drinks included).

So go to Genipabu and ride a camel, or a buggy, in the dunes.......

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Older people would probably buy entry to the camarotes (private boxes, usually with seating, food and drinks included).

So go to Genipabu and ride a camel, or a buggy, in the dunes.......

Yes I think we shall stick with the buggy ride, maybe give the camel a miss though!

Thanks

Vicki

• 2 weeks later...

Some posters seem to be addressing the famous Carnaval celebrations, which take place nationwide at the end of Lent. Carnatal-- which I have to admit I thought was a typo until I looked it up on the Web-- seems to be a pre-Christmas celebration unique to Natal. Activities seem to start at 17:00 each day, though I didn't see a detailed agenda at http://www.carnatal.com.br/agenda/2014/12/04/carnatal-2014/ Never been to Carnatal, but people of all ages certainly go to Carnaval events. That being said, if you ship departs that evening, I agree you don't have time to attend the events., though you could keep looking at the Web site and ask your ship's activities desk for more info. Do ask about likely traffic jams so you leave enough time to get back to port.

Edited by Fattony

p.s. I just happened to see a Globo TV bit today about a family that won a trip to Natal. Showed them on camels, not riding on the top of the camel, but sitting in basket-like seats on the side of the animal. Not sure if it'd be comfortable, but you could check when you get there. When I was in Natal about 6 or 7 years ago, the big thrill was sliding down the tall, steep sand dunes along the beach.

Edited by Fattony

Carnatal-- which I have to admit I thought was a typo until I looked it up on the Web-- seems to be a pre-Christmas celebration unique to Natal.

Carnatal is only one of quite a few "out of season Carnaval celebrations" referred to in Portuguese as MICARETAS.