Best time to cruise Cape Horn

lofty888

I've read various reviews that said the best time to take a cruise from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso is late January / early February. However, I can get a cheaper deal in December. Is the weather in December much different to late January ? I'm particularly wanting to see the mountain and glacier scenery between Ushuaia and the Chilean fjords, so lots of cloud and rain would be disappointing. Should I wait until January ?

I've read various reviews that said the best time to take a cruise from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso is late January / early February. However, I can get a cheaper deal in December. Is the weather in December much different to late January ? I'm particularly wanting to see the mountain and glacier scenery between Ushuaia and the Chilean fjords, so lots of cloud and rain would be disappointing. Should I wait until January ?

Hi Lofty, I did the South America this year on the Queen Victoria, leaving Rio on about the 20th january and rounding the horn just before the end of Jan. The only rough sea we had was on the morning we were to reach the Horn and just as we approached it they flattened. The pilot said although it was usually calm around that time of the year, he had never seen it so flat.

We had brilliant weather all through the fjords, although some days had mist, it only added to the atmosphere and didn't really block any views. If you want to read about the fjords, I wrote about it on my blog,

http://roscoesseafever.blogspot.co.nz/2014/02/iceberg-dead-ahead-amalia-glacier_2184.html

The reason December will be cheaper is that it is probably not as popular but I can't imagine the weather would be too dramatically different to what we experienced.

It was a trip well wroth doing.

best regards Roscoe

Thanks for posting your link. Beautiful pictures. We would like to do this trip next winter so am looking ahead as well.

my pleasure, you will have a fabulous time.. Id go back to South America in a flash, there is more on the other ports we visited including the actual Cape Horn (De cape de Hornos) on

http://roscoesseafever.blogspot.co.nz

my pleasure, you will have a fabulous time.. Id go back to South America in a flash, there is more on the other ports we visited including the actual Cape Horn (De cape de Hornos) on

http://roscoesseafever.blogspot.co.nz

Thanks for sharing the link to your blog -- planning to read through your SA posts tonight ... we're doing BtoB from Fort Lauderdale, around the Horn and ending in BsAs.

Hi Lofty, I did the South America this year on the Queen Victoria, leaving Rio on about the 20th january and rounding the horn just before the end of Jan. The only rough sea we had was on the morning we were to reach the Horn and just as we approached it they flattened. The pilot said although it was usually calm around that time of the year, he had never seen it so flat.

We had brilliant weather all through the fjords, although some days had mist, it only added to the atmosphere and didn't really block any views. If you want to read about the fjords, I wrote about it on my blog,

http://roscoesseafever.blogspot.co.nz/2014/02/iceberg-dead-ahead-amalia-glacier_2184.html

The reason December will be cheaper is that it is probably not as popular but I can't imagine the weather would be too dramatically different to what we experienced.

It was a trip well wroth doing.

best regards Roscoe

I was on the same cruise as Roscoe. Yes the seas were very calm around the horn.

Roscoe,

The pictures look familiar on your link. Especially the one of the back of the ship. Hope you're doing well

Don

I was on the same cruise as Roscoe. Yes the seas were very calm around the horn.

Roscoe,

The pictures look familiar on your link. Especially the one of the back of the ship. Hope you're doing well

Don

heya Don, thanks for checking out my little blog...yes that was a great day at the glacier...and the Qv looks great with such a dramatic background. I was scared the horn would shake her to bits but she coped very well.

Just in the midst of booking the full world in 2016 on her. The temptation to go back to South Africa is too much, pity we weren't going round the horn as well. You coming around again?

best regards

heya Don, thanks for checking out my little blog...yes that was a great day at the glacier...and the Qv looks great with such a dramatic background. I was scared the horn would shake her to bits but she coped very well.

Just in the midst of booking the full world in 2016 on her. The temptation to go back to South Africa is too much, pity we weren't going round the horn as well. You coming around again?

best regards

Rosco

I would love to go around the Horn again but unless I hit the lottery, this year was my bucket list cruise. As I tell every one, "I emptied my bucket list and had to sell the bucket to help pay for the trip"

Reading your blog, I see why you spent hours by your laptop during the cruise. Very nice work.

Don

Rosco

I would love to go around the Horn again but unless I hit the lottery, this year was my bucket list cruise. As I tell every one, "I emptied my bucket list and had to sell the bucket to help pay for the trip"

Reading your blog, I see why you spent hours by your laptop during the cruise. Very nice work.

Don

lol.thanks but the reason I always have my nose buried in the laptop is Im the shy retiring type, I was probably just playing pacman....

Based on the responses to my posting I have decided to take the cruise in December, and booked it yesterday. So fingers crossed I have the same fantastic cruise that you enjoyed.

Thanks to everyone that posted

Lofty

you'll have a great time Lofty, it was truly magical, and South America very interesting.

Just booked the full world 2016, unfortunately not going back to South America so give her my regards....

Roscoe