Is Gumbalimba now closed? (Tabyana too?) MERGED THREADS

twopugs

In the post below regarding the zipline death someone mentioned that they spoke to locals and Gumbalimba is closed, they asked if they could just go to the park (not do zipline) and were told no. Does anyone know if this is the case? Isn't Tabyana Beach on Gumbalimba property? Would that be closed as well?

I heard that the zipline at Gumbalimba is closed. We are leaving for our cruise this weekend, but we haven't received notification that our excursion was cancelled. We still want to go, but should we cancel it and switch to another excursion before it is too late, or is the park closing temporary or just a rumor?

I heard that the zipline at Gumbalimba is closed. We are leaving for our cruise this weekend, but we haven't received notification that our excursion was cancelled. We still want to go, but should we cancel it and switch to another excursion before it is too late, or is the park closing temporary or just a rumor?

Its not a rumor. The entire Gumbalimba Park is closed. I doubt that anyone can tell you right now if and when the zipline in Gumbalimba will reopen.

When you get on board, if it's still closed, you will get an automatic refund due to the tour being cancelled.

I would guess that it's a high probability that this excursion will not take place as scheduled for you. If you don't want to miss out on ziplining, I'd suggest that you contact a private tour for ziplining. That way you won't be disappointed in not being able to do the zipline at all. Once you get a private tour scheduled, you can then notify your ship that you want to cancel their excursion in case it is still scheduled.

Haven't used him but people on these boards rave about Victor Bodden so I'd start there.

Ugh...I called Carnival and they assured me that Gumbablimba Park is still open including Tabyana Beach. I asked him to double check, was on hold forever, and the rep came back on saying that his supervisor said everything was open.

This is very frustrating b/c I have the feeling they are wrong.

I would try to call them and if no answer contact your cc company if you had put any kind of deposit down. Keep as much info as you can and save it for them, for a refund. Should get refunded, no problem. AFTER you call and can't get anyone, book elsewhere. Keep records of the calls, etc. Don't worry about it, your credit card company is behind YOU. (unless it is chase) Enjoy your trip!!!

Ugh...I called Carnival and they assured me that Gumbablimba Park is still open including Tabyana Beach. I asked him to double check, was on hold forever, and the rep came back on saying that his supervisor said everything was open.

I don't know, you could very well be right. The article's I've read have all said that the park is closed while the investigation is going on.

It's been over a week though so maybe the investigation is over, the line repaired and the park reopened.

I spoke with someone that lives in Roatan and she told me that Gumbalinda park is closed. She also said that the other park owned by this family :memba: or Melba is also closed. I will be there next week and will do palmetto.

From the article posted on Cruise Critic Cruise news on March 26, 2008: Roatan Zip-Line Tragedy Raises Questions

Local authorities in Honduras have launched a full investigation of the accident, and the zip-line has been shut down indefinitely. The canopy tour owner is "devastated," according to the Tourism spokesman, and the operation will not resume until the investigation is complete and the owners have determined if additional safety wires need to be installed.

Sounds like just the zip line is closed. Not the entire park.

If you still want to do a zip line, there are 2 or 3 other canopy tours on Roatan. About a month ago we hired a private driver through Victor Bodden tours and were taken to Pirates of the Caribbean extreme zip line course. (DH zipped. I took a picture of him leaping off the first platform and then waited for him to complete the course.) I believe if you want to do a regular course (vs extreme) you are taken to the Roatan Jungle Canopy course. I think there is also another course, South Shore.

I highly recommend Victor Bodden Tours. It was great having our own driver for the day.

I just hope DH has now gotten the zip lining itch out of his system. :::shudder:::

Archived