Larry Pimentel Post # 6 - A Round-up of a Few Miscellaneous Topics

In this post I will address a few different topics that have come up. So let’s get right in to it.

[B][I]Chief Blogging Officers (CBO)[/I][/B]
Host Andy has asked why other cruise lines don’t have CBO’s. I’m not sure I can answer that question. Each cruise line’s focus and priorities are different. I can say from my perspective, that this position for Azamara Club Cruises has been a critical element of our team mix. It has allowed us to understand guest perspectives, gauge opinions on programs and other initiatives, interact with Cruise Critic members, but also to communicate reasons for what we are doing. Hopefully this has been beneficial to the Cruise Critic members, as well. Some cruise line executives have shared with me that they believe that very few people speak up, and those that do, over-shadow the ones that don’t.

[B][I]Our Itinerary Planning[/I][/B]
"Twingo" inquired whether we have any plans to go to the Indian Ocean, Mauritius or South Africa. The simple answer is we would love to go there, they are amazing destinations. But while it has been a part of our planning process every year, we still have not gone there. Although the pirate situation has improved, the waters off the Eastern Africa coast are still a little iffy, so for now we are by-passing. The safety of our guests and crew are paramount, and comes first. If and when it changes, we will most definitely take a look at these destinations.

Host Andy mentioned the itinerary expertise of our itinerary planner, Claudius Docekeal, who appears with Edie Bornstein on our individual voyage videos. In his own words, Claudius will share with you some highlights of our 2014 itineraries in a separate thread that Bill Leiber will open. It’s extensive, but there are so many exciting experiences that can be recommended, so we bulleted out some of his specific thoughts. Look out for this post shortly.

[B][I]Internet Speed[/I][/B]
A few questions came in about our Internet speed. I understand that this is a topic of interest – we are all dependent on Internet these days. Keep in mind that our Internet is via satellite, so not quite as easy as a hotel or office building. However, as the ships come out of drydock, the ships’ bandwidth will be increased significantly and will be a great deal faster than it currently is. However, here is how our technology team has explained it. Think of it as a major highway – I’ll use the Florida I-95 as an example. It will take you from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale and onwards to the state of Maine. If I were to drive from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale at midnight during the week, I could drive as fast as I wanted. However, if I take the same route during the peak rush hour, I would be in bumper-to-bumper traffic. It’s the same with any ships’ satellite Internet access. It will, however, be significantly faster than now, and that – I think – is good news.

[B][I]AzAmazing Evenings Cancellation Fees:[/I][/B]
Zennor posted the following comment: “We may also partake in an Evening Excursion for the whole ship which although free of charge imposes a fine of 150 USD if we cannot attend & do not cancel in time, and therefore cannot be deemed to be 'INCLUDED' in the cruise price.”

Our rationale is quite simple, and we don’t expect to collect a lot of cancellation fees. The logistics of such an event are quite extensive. In order to ensure the event goes off without a hitch, we need to know the number of guests that will participate. If you decide to participate in the event, and we had planned for – let’s say – 600 guests and only 400 showed up, there would be at least 4 or 5 buses we’d have lined up that we’d have to pay for and send away. It also means that if there is a dinner or sit-down meal involved, you would be sitting in a room that had 200 empty seats. Not conducive to a nice event. We simply want to create an event that is executed well for the right number of people. Candidly, we are giving our guests until 10 pm the night before the event to let us know if they won’t be able to participate – I think that is a fair and generous timeframe.

[B][I]Xpedition - Should be part of ACC [/I][/B]
Jade13 asked the following question: “I am surprised that Celebrity Xpedition in Galapagos is not moved over to Azamara Club Cruises. The size of the ship, the all-inclusiveness, and exotic itinerary fit the Azamara brand better than Celebrity.”

It's not the first time that I heard that the Celebrity Xpedition in Galapagos would be an ideal fit within the Azamara Club Cruises brand. While it is destination driven featuring an exotic itinerary and its tariff is more inclusive, it is enjoying much success under the Celebrity banner, and will remain there.

[B][I]Our Website’s Booking Tool[/I][/B]
This question was asked by a few Cruise Critic members. A big issue was the cruise booking tool being removed. Our reasoning for removing it was simply that this is an old and complex piece of technology, and therefor costly. However, when we removed it, you made it abundantly clear that this was an important tool, so we put it back on. It will remain there until we have a new and better tool. Timing for that is to be announced. By end of year, this tool will be able to display global currencies, so as an example, if you enter our site from the UK, we will serve up voyage pricing in British Pounds. Our voyages can be booked in several different currencies, so this will include pricing from markets such as the UK, Europe (EU - Euro), Scandinavia, Australia and more… We are looking at additional enhancements, but we will announce these as they happen.

[B][I]UK Website[/I][/B]
Port59 indicated in a post that the UK website is “poor”. Even prior to this Cruise Critic comment, the UK marketing team has developed a longer term plan to make a number of enhancements to the Azamara UK website. These enhancements will take place in 2013 – a new budget year. In the meantime, though, the U.S. and UK marketing teams are collaborating on a complete content audit to correct errors and update relevant content on the UK website short term. While this has top priority, it’s an extensive project, and will take a few weeks. I have requested that Cruise Critic gets advised when done.

[B][I]Social Media[/I][/B]
Another issue that was raised by members from outside of the US is marketing activities such as social media competitions and sweepstakes, which up until now have been for U.S. consumers only. This is simply based on different laws in different countries. There are ways of including additional countries, and our marketing team is now working with our Legal team to determine how that can be done, so as of 2013 we will be able to include at least a few more countries.

[B][I]Guest Communication[/I][/B]
Uktog: “What changes you are looking to make in the interactions with customers from their initial exploration of options/prices online (not something we can do in the UK still!) through to coming onboard day to ensure that the approach is joined up and the messages are consistent, accurate and not mixed?”

Guest communication for Azamara has a high degree of complexity, simply because we have guests from so many countries around the world. Our parent company RCCL owns eight offices globally, and we work through them to market, sell and communicate with guests from outside the U.S. and Canada. We would like nothing more than to communicate the same everywhere, but based on local laws, regulations and business practices, this is not always possible.

But I have good news. For those guests who reside and book outside of the U.S. and Canada, you will be happy to know that we just recently added an international liaison to our marketing team in Miami, whose main role will be to coordinate marketing, sales and communications activities around the world. Over time, this should improve how we are able to communicate with our guests globally.

[B][I]Le Club Voyage[/I][/B]
A few Cruise Critic members, including Host Andy, had a few questions about our loyalty program. We are in the process of reviewing the Le Club Voyage program, and will refine some elements as of January 2013. For that purpose, we did a survey of about 20% of our past guests globally to find out what was important to them as far as the benefits. You might be interested in some of the top level findings below. 1) Free Internet. 2) Bonus sailing credit of 12 nights or more. 3) Complimentary wine tasting. 4) Onboard booking savings for future voyages. 5) One complimentary bag of laundry per week. We will use this information as part of finalizing the program, and will announce as soon as we are done. If you have any thoughts or ideas, your input is very much welcome.

The new pricing structure and inclusive amenities do not affect the loyalty program. We had questions about what we will do now that beverages are included in the price. While we are fine-tuning the program as stated above, the parties were primarily about the social aspect of the club, not necessarily the free beverages.

It seems that the gift program has been somewhat of an issue. Primarily the delivery of the gifts! This has not been brought to our attention as a problem until now. There have been a handful of occasions where guests have called to let us know the gift had not arrived, at which point we sent it off right away. Our team will look in to this and make sure it is fixed.

The reciprocal program between Azamara Club Cruises, Celebrity Cruises and Royal Caribbean International, will remain. This has been very successful.

[B][I]Why Brochure Pricing[/I][/B]
Kiawahdon: “Thank you for bringing up the interesting point that it's a "false practice" to convince consumers that we offer "Straightforward” value. For those who book early, we offer up to 50% off brochure rates. You ask if we ever sold inventory at the full brochure price?”

The topic of brochure pricing is one that I and the entire cruise industry have been wrestling with for a long time, and I must admit unsuccessfully. The notion of having one simple single price for each category is so attractive that at one line I introduced "simplicity" pricing and it failed miserably. I attribute its failure as a pricing strategy because the need to maintain "pricing purity" as a component of brand image is unrealistic. It prevents our flexibility to initiate promotional merchandising programs when there are unexpected world events that diminish worldwide travel demand such as the Arab Spring; the European economic meltdown and last year's earthquake and tsunami in Japan. A simple single price would be like trying to wrestle the marketplace with your hands tied.

I agree with you that the brochure price is seldom used. It serves as the "starting" point and the consumer's actual purchase is much less because of the published "merchandising" programs. The competitive norms of the cruise industry are not structured with an automotive "sticker price." At the outset, brochures are published featuring early booking savings, airfare promotions and the like. And then when demand does not materialize as expected and unsold inventory still remains, there is the need to introduce closer into sailing date pricing initiatives as stateroom upgrades and onboard credits. And that's just in print!

Electronically, customers can access incredible "deals" on the internet in a nano-second that are enticing and can close-the-sale. Azamara's band width is too small to buck the discounted oriented consumer flow with a set brochure price. We would be bypassed in the blink of an eye. We need the ability to engage in merchandising programs to be relevant in the marketplace and cannot be pioneers in relying on straightforward every day pricing to deliver financial results to the shareholders in a global consumer market that is totally deal-oriented.

I foresee the convergence of the company's printed brochures and its website due to the fact that the travel industry operates within the construct that everything is "subject to change." The website will be the "go-to" place for the most accurate updated information. The content in our brochures is prepared significantly in advance of one's travel planning and therefore the material is subject to change, which explains why the terms and conditions are packed with caveats to point that out to customers.

So when the brochures are printed the information is accurate; however, many items change each year and always have: itinerary modifications (political unrest, ports change confirmations, natural disaster, etc.); government rules change; pricing and promotions to name a few. These changes occur annually in different ways for a multitude of reasons. While some express concern when changes occur, changing the items referenced does not suggest a false practice or 'bait and switch', it is an industry standard practiced by all lines and expressed in the terms and conditions.

The more updated information is web based today. There may actually come a time when brochures are no longer printed. Personally, I like the brochure and using it as a dream guide to the destinations is helpful.

[COLOR=red]Hi Larry[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]You just pasted one free laundry bag per week not per cruise. i hope this is not a typo.. I have had cruise at 16 days wih one laundry coupon. But on B2B or more i really could use one every 7 days.. I find in cooler climates if i wash by hand it can noy dry. could we really get an extra one if needed. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]So far I find you give the guest the most internet minutes at sea. Only on 14 to 16 night cruises have i wanted more.. Thank you for that.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Funny how al lthese guests love their wine.. i wish you would do a free or a very low price of good ports, vodka etc.. I love rum too. Yes, I can taste the difference.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000] i do ont always go to the "happy hour' but i love the offier party as i get to see officers and crew again and again.[/COLOR]

[B][I]AzAmazing Evenings Cancellation Fees:[/I][/B]

[B][I]Xpedition - Should be part of ACC [/I][/B]

[B][I]UK Website[/I][/B]
Port59 indicated in a post that the UK website is “poor”. Even prior to this Cruise Critic comment, the UK marketing team has developed a longer term plan to make a number of enhancements to the Azamara UK website. These enhancements will take place in 2013 – a new budget year. In the meantime, though, the U.S. and UK marketing teams are collaborating on a complete content audit to correct errors and update relevant content on the UK website short term. While this has top priority, it’s an extensive project, and will take a few weeks. I have requested that Cruise Critic gets advised when done.

[B][I]Social Media[/I][/B]
Another issue that was raised by members from outside of the US is marketing activities such as social media competitions and sweepstakes, which up until now have been for U.S. consumers only. This is simply based on different laws in different countries. There are ways of including additional countries, and our marketing team is now working with our Legal team to determine how that can be done, so as of 2013 we will be able to include at least a few more countries.

[B][I]Guest Communication[/I][/B]
Uktog: “What changes you are looking to make in the interactions with customers from their initial exploration of options/prices online (not something we can do in the UK still!) through to coming onboard day to ensure that the approach is joined up and the messages are consistent, accurate and not mixed?”

Guest communication for Azamara has a high degree of complexity, simply because we have guests from so many countries around the world. Our parent company RCCL owns eight offices globally, and we work through them to market, sell and communicate with guests from outside the U.S. and Canada. We would like nothing more than to communicate the same everywhere, but based on local laws, regulations and business practices, this is not always possible.

But I have good news. For those guests who reside and book outside of the U.S. and Canada, you will be happy to know that we just recently added an international liaison to our marketing team in Miami, whose main role will be to coordinate marketing, sales and communications activities around the world. Over time, this should improve how we are able to communicate with our guests globally.

Hi Larry,
Thanks for at least recognising that your UK customers have issues with the Azamara UK website, your social media sweepstakes and your guest relations but I'm sorry to say that your response is largely "flannel" ( an old English expression ) and is too little too late. I can sympathise to some extent because whilst you're owned by a giant like RCCL under the wing of Celebrity Cruises you're going to struggle for your share of technical and sales and marketing resources where you share their offices , as in the UK. The combined passenger occupancy of the Journey and Quest can't be more than 1600 at best ; less than that of one of the Celebrity ships. So Azamara's revenue is probably less than 5% that of Celebrity and much smaller still compared to Royal Caribbean. So when it comes to priorities and getting things done Azamara is always going to be out gunned. Having said that, I wish you well.

Archived