taxi or train to aix?

tyger429

When we talk about this topic we usually suggest you take whichever works best..as to the schedule when you arrive at the train station (the buses also leave from outside the station). Either option is fine.

Hank

Cost for taxi vs train? just the 2 of us...if not too costly would opt for the taxi but since there is no cost sharing this time around, the train may be the only option financially.

Don't get me started on French taxis (they march to their own drum...except in Paris), but when it comes taxis who go to cruise ports....everything is negotiable. I suspect (educated guess) that you would have to pay at least 100€ to get a taxi to take you to Aix...the price being determined by how long you want the taxi to wait. The official taxi price is actually about 50€, but we assume the driver would never do it that cheap. The train fare used to be something akin to 8€ and they might offer a discount for seniors (age 60+) for the asking. As to the bus, the last time we looked the fare was a little less than 5€ per person (one-way). Both the taxi and bus are very affordable which is why we often suggest just taking whichever works best....at the time.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Are taxis easy to locate at the Port? We are planning a day up to Aix on our upcoming Harmony cruise, and the shuttle bus to train option seems really complicated. I think I'd rather take a taxi between the port at the train station, and then back again - assuming there are taxis to be had!

Are taxis easy to locate at the Port? We are planning a day up to Aix on our upcoming Harmony cruise, and the shuttle bus to train option seems really complicated. I think I'd rather take a taxi between the port at the train station, and then back again - assuming there are taxis to be had!

They are easy to locate...if they are there! :). We do agree that a taxi directly to the station (especially if you can share with another couple) makes a lot of sense.

Hank

One hint, if you decide to take a taxi to the bus/train station and your ship shuttle back after your return...make sure you know where the shuttles pick up for return to the port. After visiting Aix, we decided to stroll Vieux Port, so we took the Metro that area. We had a dickens of a time finding the shuttle...thankfully someone standing in an MSC line, spoke English and knew where our shuttle was located. TI in Marseille was able to get us to the general area, but we still had difficulty...because it was unmarked (cruise line miss-MSC had theirs marked with a sign.)

Bus to Aix worked great, there was one loading when we got there and the taxi driver pointed out where to go. In Aix, it's only a short walk to central sites. Wait for bus back from Aix was less than 5 minutes.

If you are there on a Saturday, it's market day. Great markets, in three or four locations...almost contiguous.

Edited by buggins0402

• 2 months later...
One hint, if you decide to take a taxi to the bus/train station and your ship shuttle back after your return...make sure you know where the shuttles pick up for return to the port. After visiting Aix, we decided to stroll Vieux Port, so we took the Metro that area. We had a dickens of a time finding the shuttle...thankfully someone standing in an MSC line, spoke English and knew where our shuttle was located. TI in Marseille was able to get us to the general area, but we still had difficulty...because it was unmarked (cruise line miss-MSC had theirs marked with a sign.)

Bus to Aix worked great, there was one loading when we got there and the taxi driver pointed out where to go. In Aix, it's only a short walk to central sites. Wait for bus back from Aix was less than 5 minutes.

If you are there on a Saturday, it's market day. Great markets, in three or four locations...almost contiguous.

Is there shuttle going to bus/train station from cruise port? Wondering what other option is there besides taxi to the station. Thanks.

We were on Harmony and RCI offered a shuttle service between the ship and Marseille city centre and the drop off point was MuCem museum. Cost was $18 round trip and takes 30 minutes. I'm sorry I don't know where that is in relation to the train station but perhaps you could look it up on Google maps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The ship shuttles buses generally drop their charges at the Vieux Port (Old Port) which is about a 20-25 min walk from the St Charles Train Station. But most of the cruise lines now charge for these shuttles....and its often no more money if you can share a taxi from the port to the train station. Of course the trick is to get a taxi to do that short haul..since many drivers are looking for more lucrative fares.

Hank

From the shuttle drop off you could take the metro to the train station. But, as Hank said, if your cruise line charges for shuttles you are better off with a taxi.

Marseille is one port that we've had no difficulty getting a taxi to the train/bus station or to Vieux Port.

I agree with the bus recommendation. My sister and I were on Royal Princess last week and at the last minute decided to take the ships shuttle to Vieux Port. Maybe other ships have different drop offs, but it was in a weird place. That said, we took a photo of the Museum nearby so we had a place of reference.

From there we took a cab for 7 euros to the Marseille Saint-Charles bus station. For 10 euros round trip, we took bus 50 (an express bus) to Aix en Provence. The bus runs every 5 minutes or so and you are there in 30 minutes. Easy walk to Cours Mirabeau. Also, the bus has free, fast wifi.

Spent a few hours in Aix, got back to Marseille and wandered around until we met the shuttle back to the ship.