Abu Dhabi and RX drugs?

Bowie MeMe

We are cruising from Singapore to Abu Dhabi on Oceania Insignia. We plan to stay 2-3 days in the area of Abu Dhabi/Dubai then take a direct flight home from one of these cities. May 2017.

I am worried about the policy for prescription drugs being brought into the country when leaving the ship. Possibly also the transfer in UAE when landing in the country before cruise (on the way to Singapore with or without a stopover) so at airport overnight. I take regularly many RX including I am sure some of the ones banned by UAE for pain and restless leg etc. One other factor is that I am a Global Entry Card holder. I have not yet decided on air for cruise so can plan anything but where cruise ends:p

1. Getting off the ship and entering Abu Dhabi will I be searched for drugs or asked to declare etc?

2. What kind of documentation are the officials asking for -- secretary of state for Maryland has to say I take restless leg medication? (a form of Parkinson's Disease medication and also sedation)? Secretary of State US? I just don't understand the language and how to comply with it. I will be gone over a month so will have about 6 weeks supply with me on first stopover.

3. I usually carry my drugs in plastic bags with RX labels issued by the mail away pharmacy used by my insurance company. Or I have used one of those services that pack dosages for the day -- better? I really would skip the country (thus the cruise) if my health needs can not be accommodated reasonably by allowing for drugs.

4. I would appreciate if any have gone before and what your experience was with embarkation or disembarkation in Abu Dhabi in particular.

Thanks a bunch. I appreciate the help.

Prescribed medication in original packaging along with a statement from your doctor is required. If your medication is on the controlled list then a prior authorization from the Ministry of Health is needed but can be obtained online. Below are a couple of links that may be helpful. Also, a previous CC poster "not jaded", shared their positive experience dealing with MOH.

http://www.uaeinteract.com/travel/drug.asp

http://www.moh.gov.ae/en/Pages/default.aspx

Post from Notjaded on Sept 6, 2015

"I decided to get more specific by writing to the appropriate authorities. I wrote to the ministry of health (Google "Guidelines for Carrying Medecines to UAE") [note above spelling is correct] On page three, there are emails for inquiries.

I specifically asked whether these drugs were permissible to bring into the country for our personal use:

Alprazolam (Xanax); Zolpidem (Ambien); Tussionex (Hydrocodone and Chlorpheniramine)

This was the email response I got from Amir Osman of the Ministry of Health:

"As per your mail, there is no objection to keep the medicines for the personal use to cover your staying in the UAE (maximum for a period not more than one month) provided that you have to keep a certified medical letter from your doctor along with a valid prescription."

Please come back and share your experience with others as this is always a concern for travelers! You will enjoy the many sights and tastes of Dubai and won't want to miss the beautiful Sheik Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi. In 2017 the Louvre Abu Dhabi Museum should also be open.