Bringing Alcohol on Board (I know, I'm sorry)

CJ4G

I'm having difficulty finding the answer to this question without having to just ask.

I've been around a while but I don't post often.

When my wife and I got married in 2013, we went on a cruise in the Mediterranean on the Ruby Princess out of Venice. We didn't plan to bring any booze on board, but right there in the port they had a duty free shop selling alcohol as we were waiting to board. I asked "are we allowed to just bring these on?" and surprisingly, the answer was "yes." I had no issue just walking on to the cruise with it.

Likewise, at a couple of our stops (it was a long cruise, don't judge me!) I bought a bottle or two and walked right onto the ship with them with no questions asked.

Is this a European thing? Is this a Princess thing? I know the cruise lines have officially policies that say otherwise but if they're just willingly letting people walk on the ship with bottles of booze I'd like to know how this works.

I just booked a cruise on the Norwegian Epic that departs out of Barcelona in June of 2017 and I'm trying to plan ahead.

Does anyone have any insight on this rather specific booze related question?

I'm having difficulty finding the answer to this question without having to just ask.

When my wife and I got married in 2013, we went on a cruise in the Mediterranean on the Ruby Princess out of Venice. We didn't plan to bring any booze on board, but right there in the port they had a duty free shop selling alcohol as we were waiting to board. I asked "are we allowed to just bring these on?" and surprisingly, the answer was "yes." I had no issue just walking on to the cruise with it.

Likewise, at a couple of our stops (it was a long cruise, don't judge me!) I bought a bottle or two and walked right onto the ship with them with no questions asked.

Is this a European thing? Is this a Princess thing? I know the cruise lines have officially policies that say otherwise but if they're just willingly letting people walk on the ship with bottles of booze I'd like to know how this works.

I just booked a cruise on the Norwegian Epic that departs out of Barcelona in June of 2017 and I'm trying to plan ahead.

You might want to post this on the NCL forum to see what they allow. However, some lines may charge a corkage fee if the wine is consumed in any of their dining venues. Hard liquor is usually held until the end of the cruise.

Alcohol seems to only become a "rules" issue when it comes to customs, i.e. what one country allows its citizens to import into ones home country when returning from overseas without having to pay tax/tariff/duty (custom tax) on the item, in this case wine or spirits.

As long as you have what you need (glassware, cork screw, etc) or a helpful cabin attendant, provided you've not gone into the beverage trade on board the ship ;) it would seem that it should be fine. Plenty of folks pick up wine/spirits while traveling to enjoy along the way; perhaps others just don't talk about it as much? Not sure...

Asking is always a safe bet but it's always just customs that has very defined limits. Visiting your ship's thread was also brilliant advice - you'll encounter people that have sailed for years and have been on this very ship. Enjoy your cruise!

.. I just booked a cruise on the Norwegian Epic that departs out of Barcelona in June of 2017 and I'm trying to plan ahead.

NCL's policy for bringing wine aboard at embarkation is that you pay a $15 "corkage" fee for each 750 ml bottle regardless of whether you drink it in your cabin, in the dining room, or anywhere else. The fee is charged to your onboard account.

Supposedly as of July 16, 2016 any wine you bring aboard at ports will be kept for you until disembarkation. But that new rule doesn't seem to be uniformly enforced.

I'd suggest you read posts on the NCL board and get lots of information.

• 4 weeks later...

Did one recent cruise on NCL... their policy is you can bring on unlimited wine just pay corking..