Ketchikan Alaska Fishing

Zoedokey

My husband was interested in a Halibut fishing trip in Ketchikan in June. For those who have done this, is it a deep sea trip? He tends to get seasick if a boat is anchored and bobs up and down a lot. In shallower waters he should be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

you might want to ask this question to the Alaska forum of tripadvisor. Lots more locals on that forum.

Or call a couple of vendors and ask them about the specifics of their halibut charters. Don't preface it with ' my husband gets seasick' or they might tailor their response to provide the answer you want.

This is quite dated, but the best halibut fishing which I remember in that area was across a bit of open water to the west of Ketchikan. It is not deep sea fishing since the halibut tend to lay up on fairly shallow banks in the summer but this one is over by POW Island and can be a pretty interesting trip if the wind kicks up since you will be traveling in the trough if this happens:eek:

I lived over on POW for six winters back in the early nineties, so it was easy for me just to zip back into my home bay if the wind came up, which it did , often in the spring and fall!

By the time that you are there in the summer, it should be more calm if you happen to cross Clarence strait, but one can never be certain of such good fortune here in the great SE!

I too suffer from motion sickness, but fortunately, I found that whenever I found myself in dire straits at sea, I was always running the boat and the terror level always seemed to distract me from getting sick!

Good luck and great fishing.

DD

I have not fished for halibut in Ketchikan, but have done so in Seward. At that time, our boat went waaay out (35-50 miles) and it was quite deep. One fisherman that I remember was hung over the side almost the entire trip.

One practical consideration is whether you are prepared for the cost of the fish processing (cleaning, filleting, vacuum sealing, flash freezing) and packing for shipment by FedEx overnight. It is the last part that can get get quite costly.

My husband did the salmon fishing trip in Ketchikan. He said it was very calm while fishing. He really enjoyed the trip. The boat crew brought the salmon back to the ship and it was cooked that night for our dinner.

Do you remember which company your husband used for his fishing trip? My husband wants to book a Salmon fishing trip in June, but have only found one company through the ship and he wants more options.

Do you remember which company your husband used for his fishing trip? My husband wants to book a Salmon fishing trip in June, but have only found one company through the ship and he wants more options.

I always recommend Capt Nick. I've fished with him 5 times and have never been disappointed. He works independent now (use to be part owner of Ketchikan Charter Boats). His company is Chasin' Tail Charters 907-617-7033. My son & I will be fishing with him on 6/15/17. We are going to be on the Eurodam.

Greg

Sorry I'm late getting back to you. I think we booked that trip directly through the ship. It was the only one we didn't book privately. It was a short stop in that port so we didn't want to take a chance missing the ship if there was any problems.