Barrett Adventures any good?

KnightsFan

I've been doing some research on non-RCCL excursions and came across Barrett Adventures. I'm interested in their Tubing and Blue Hole trip. I see a lot of raving reviews on TripAdvisor, so I'm thinking it's a good deal, but can anyone offer more insight into this particular tour?

I don't have any specific questions, just trying to get a good grasp on what the experience is like. Will it just be the two of us or do they combine groups if they're smaller? Are there any hidden events in the itinerary, i.e. drop offs at random stores we've no interest in?

We have booked Barrett Adventures for the Mayfield Falls & Yardy River Tubing on Oct 5th. I am not sure when you are cruising, but I can let you know how our tour goes.

Carrie

We're not going until March, so plenty of time. Please do report back, I'd appreciate it!

• 3 months later...

Sorry for a late post here, but life, work and holidays have kept me busy!

We used Barrett Adventures for an excursion out of Montego Bay in October. There were 5 of us - me, husband, daughter, son-in-law, 5yr old grandson.

Due to Hurricane Matthew our port order was changed the day after we sailed. Carolyn was prompt to respond to my frantic email regarding the change in arrival!!

Richard met us at the port and was our driver for the day. He was really nice and the car was a newer model small suv. We did the Mayfield Falls/ Yardy tubing Adventure. It took almost an hour to get to the falls and then about 1 1/2 hrs to climb the falls. The water was high due to rain from Matthew but we took our time and enjoyed the falls. Our guide was Chicken and he was great! He carried/climbed with our grandson the entire time. Then we traveled about 10 minutes to the river site for river tubing. The young men there carried our tubes to the entry point and then swam as we tubed to help those who flipped or got stuck on the sides of the river. This took about 20 mins and then back down the mountain for lunch at a small outdoor place. We arrived back at the port with plenty of time to spare.

Notes: We did take our own bottled water and towels. You climb the falls barefoot, but will need water shoes for the tubing. We also took sandals to change into after tubing. At lunch there was no problem with paying in USD. There are not any bathroom facilities at the tubing area. The drive is long and some spots just dirt, pot holed road - they needed the 4 wheel drive closer to the top. A guy is available to take photos as you climb the falls and you can purchase a dvd from him of all the photos. We did purchase it and felt it was worth it.

Yes, I would use Barrett Adventures again when we visit Jamaica.

If you have questions, just ask.

Carrie

Glad I could help!

We were very apprehensive about leaving the ship, but I was determined to enjoy Jamaica - and we did! I did a lot of research and several emails to Carolyn about my concerns. They exceeded my expectations and everyone we encountered on our excursion were very courteous and helpful.

We usually do excursions on our own and not thru the ship because of the masses of people. We were the only people at the falls and tubing - it was so nice to take our time and do what we wanted, when we wanted.

I forgot to mention we did do some shopping - told Richard what we wanted to buy (coffee) and shop at Harley Davidson for the D & SIL. He was with us every stop in stores and we never felt in danger.

I hope you enjoy Jamaica!

Carrie