What did you do in So. Caribbean?

twinbee

My family and I booked a cruise for next year going to So. Caribbean islands. The island we will be visiting are - St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Barbados, St. Lucia and St. Maarten.

I am wheelchair dependent and for the last week I have been emailing all the different private tour companies I can find for these islands looking for a wheelchair lift van/bus. Every one of the companies responded no, they did not have one. I cannot walk or do any steps. What did all you other wheelchair users do on these islands? Any suggestions?

Ask this on the Disabled Cruise forum here at CC, under Special Interest cruisers. Question has been addressed there recently. Also google your ports. This is what I got when I googled Accessible St. Thomas.

http://www.accessvi.com/

St. Maarten:

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&espv=2&q=accessible+St.+Maarten&oq=accessible+St.+Maarten&gs_l=serp.12..0i22i30l4.107922.113213.0.121538.13.13.0.0.0.0.124.1233.8j5.13.0....0...1c.1.56.serp..0.13.1231.hVnJv9ZeJv4

My family and I booked a cruise for next year going to So. Caribbean islands. The island we will be visiting are - St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Barbados, St. Lucia and St. Maarten.

I am wheelchair dependent and for the last week I have been emailing all the different private tour companies I can find for these islands looking for a wheelchair lift van/bus. Every one of the companies responded no, they did not have one. I cannot walk or do any steps. What did all you other wheelchair users do on these islands? Any suggestions?

We just got back from our S. Caribbean cruse this past May. We booked an accessible excursion through RCCL on St. Martin. It was called Easy St. Martin and had a van with a lift. On St. Lucia & Barbados we went to the taxi stand and asked if anyone had an accessible van. Each island had a driver with a van with a lift. It seems that the drivers buy their own vehicles and then give a portion of their fares to the company in order to work for them.

But not one van had tie-downs. So on some of the roads we had to hold on to our daughters chair.

Ask this on the Disabled Cruise forum here at CC, under Special Interest cruisers. Question has been addressed there recently. Also google your ports. This is what I got when I googled Accessible St. Thomas.

http://www.accessvi.com/

St. Maarten:

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&espv=2&q=accessible+St.+Maarten&oq=accessible+St.+Maarten&gs_l=serp.12..0i22i30l4.107922.113213.0.121538.13.13.0.0.0.0.124.1233.8j5.13.0....0...1c.1.56.serp..0.13.1231.hVnJv9ZeJv4

Ask this on the Diabled Cruise forum here at CC, under Special Interest cruisers?? Isn't this where I am posting this?

Thank you for the google info. Hopefully it will help me out.

We just got back from our S. Caribbean cruse this past May. We booked an accessible excursion through RCCL on St. Martin. It was called Easy St. Martin and had a van with a lift. On St. Lucia & Barbados we went to the taxi stand and asked if anyone had an accessible van. Each island had a driver with a van with a lift. It seems that the drivers buy their own vehicles and then give a portion of their fares to the company in order to work for them.

But not one van had tie-downs. So on some of the roads we had to hold on to our daughters chair.

Thank you for the info concerning St. Lucia & Barbados. How big were the vans with the lifts? How many people did they hold?

Twinbee,

When we did this itinerary I was using an electric scooter and we did our own thing. Aruba was very accessible but if I fully charged the unit every night I was able to get as far as I wanted in every port.

I have no experience with organized tours but hope your ate wonderful!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app