Oct cruise from Cape Liberty

Gatornole94

DH and I along with another couple are taking a cruise from cape liberty Oct. 2016. Flying in day before cruise and thinking of visiting NYC for the day and possibly staying evening there as well. Good idea to stay in NYC? What would be most efficient way to get to port the next day Also, trying to decide which airport is best to fly into - Newark or JFK.

DH and I along with another couple are taking a cruise from cape liberty Oct. 2016. Flying in day before cruise and thinking of visiting NYC for the day and possibly staying evening there as well. Good idea to stay in NYC? What would be most efficient way to get to port the next day Also, trying to decide which airport is best to fly into - Newark or JFK.

What exact dates are you considering? What is your hotel budget? How many rooms and bed configuration? How much luggage will you have?

You definitely want to fly home from Newark unless the price difference is enough to cover the extra transportation cost. Depending on your budget (i.e. can you afford to stay in Manhattan - Oct is high season), you may also need to fly into Newark. You have to look at the big picture - hotel cost, transportation from the airport to the hotel ($75+ JFK to Manhattan, free hotel shuttle at Newark, etc), cost from Newark to NYC, etc. Booking car service transportation instead of taxis is recommended, particularly between NY and NJ.

Thanks 138east for response. :) We are flying in on 10/5 and flying out 10/16. Working out budget so trying to get best info now. Woyld be getting 2 rooms since there are 2 couples and 1 suit case each. We are not cheap on hotel room but don't want to spend $400 a night either. Want to try to do something in NYC since we will be right there.

Thanks 138east for response. :) We are flying in on 10/5 and flying out 10/16. Working out budget so trying to get best info now. Woyld be getting 2 rooms since there are 2 couples and 1 suit case each. We are not cheap on hotel room but don't want to spend $400 a night either. Want to try to do something in NYC since we will be right there.

My first idea is booked for Oct 5. It's a Wednesday night. Business rates are in effect. When you include tax, you're going to be hard pressed to find anything decent under $300/room in Manhattan.

Could you provide a hotel budget range? Are double beds OK? What do you want to do in New York? Do you really want to pay the money to stay in Manhattan?

With 4 people you have the option of staying at Newark Airport and sharing a cab directly to Newark Penn Station instead of taking the hotel shuttle and Airtrain just to get to the Newark Airport Station. You can also look at the Robert Treat in downtown Newark (I have stayed there) which is close to Newark Penn Station, but not walkable at night.

I would like to stay under 400 a night and double beds Would be fine just not preferred. We were looking to just see a few sights and have cocktails and a nice dinner in Nyc. Is there an enexpensive way to stay in Newark area and just visit the city for the evening?

I would like to stay under 400 a night and double beds Would be fine just not preferred. We were looking to just see a few sights and have cocktails and a nice dinner in Nyc. Is there an enexpensive way to stay in Newark area and just visit the city for the evening?

The most inexpensive way to do this is to stay at the Robert Treat in Newark. You will get an airport shuttle, a Newark Penn Station shuttle, and a free breakfast. Train fare to New York Penn Station will be $5.50/pp each way. Car service to the port will be the same price as from a Newark Airport hotel.

If you stay at the airport, you will have to take the hotel shuttle to the Airtrain and Airtrain to the Newark Airport Station where you will pay $13/pp each way to New York Penn Station. This will take longer with the transfers. From the airport you can also take a cab from your hotel to Newark Penn Station to get the $5.50 fare. This should improve your travel time, and may save you a few dollars with 4 people sharing a cab.

Taking PATH directly to downtown New York (911 Memorial) is also an option from Newark Penn Station. http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

The most inexpensive way to do this is to stay at the Robert Treat in Newark. You will get an airport shuttle, a Newark Penn Station shuttle, and a free breakfast. Train fare to New York Penn Station will be $5.50/pp each way. Car service to the port will be the same price as from a Newark Airport hotel.

If you stay at the airport, you will have to take the hotel shuttle to the Airtrain and Airtrain to the Newark Airport Station where you will pay $13/pp each way to New York Penn Station. This will take longer with the transfers. From the airport you can also take a cab from your hotel to Newark Penn Station to get the $5.50 fare. This should improve your travel time, and may save you a few dollars with 4 people sharing a cab.

Taking PATH directly to downtown New York (911 Memorial) is also an option from Newark Penn Station. http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

Thank you so much for the great information. Always like to make the most of our time (and money) when we go on a trip.

Thank you so much for the great information. Always like to make the most of our time (and money) when we go on a trip.

Last minute travel is offering this hotel for about $130 including tax (112 base rate) for a queen room. I took a chance last year and stayed here precruise. I was very happy with the queen room - very comfortable bed and all the expected amenities including free wifi. Hotel is on a quiet side street facing a park. I do recommend taking the hotel shuttle or a cab to and from Newark Penn Station. It's only a few blocks, but Newark is very urban and I don't recommend walking. I would definitely stay here again. I saved a lot of money taking PATH and the light rail to Bayonne for the cruise.

We are also cruising out of Cape Liberty in Oct (Celebrity on 2 Oct). We are flying into Albany NY (from FLA) to see the area my wife grew up, then train to NYC Penn Station. Going to stay at the Hilton Times Square for a few days (points!) and then off to the port.

OK, now my question: I assume a car service is the best way to get from Time Square to the Port. Looked at Light Rail and it looked tricky especially with luggage. But is it handy way? Any suggestions on car services. I went on line but the none showed costs to the Port, only to 'NJ' and I added 'Bayonne'. Does that cover what it would cost? And what service is best?

Den

We are also cruising out of Cape Liberty in Oct (Celebrity on 2 Oct). We are flying into Albany NY (from FLA) to see the area my wife grew up, then train to NYC Penn Station. Going to stay at the Hilton Times Square for a few days (points!) and then off to the port.

OK, now my question: I assume a car service is the best way to get from Time Square to the Port. Looked at Light Rail and it looked tricky especially with luggage. But is it handy way? Any suggestions on car services. I went on line but the none showed costs to the Port, only to 'NJ' and I added 'Bayonne'. Does that cover what it would cost? And what service is best?

Den

We generally recommend looking at Dial7 and Carmellimo. They offer online coupons.