How good is the Canyon Ranch Spa?

Highly Sociable

Less than 5 weeks to go now to our QM2 eastbound crossing and I realised that if I was going to pre-book any treatments I had better get a move on.

I've down-loaded the brochure and there seem to be a raft of treatments available, however, they are not exactly cheap and if I am going to treat myself (and why not!) I want to make sure that I go for the best.

So your comments and shared experiences would be gratefully appreciated.

Also do they have an age restriction, as I may treat my daughter (14) to a facial.

The spa is wonderful. If you book a treatment, you get a same day pass to any of the spa facilities; ie pool, saunas, etc. from 8am to 8 pm.Tip is included. So the price is not bad considering. There is a lovely private nook near the beverage bar where you can sit in your robe and sip your drink directly overlooking the ocean. Canyon Ranch massage is best. Consider a sensitive face facial for your daughter/ or call them toll free and inquire. Have a wonderful trip!

My wife enjoyed her treatments very much. And I enjoyed "Dr. Sam" the chiropractor so much I went back three times (over 24 days).

No, they're not cheap, but they're not terribly expensive and they're well worth it.

As far as your daughter, I think there IS an age limit (my six and 9-year-olds could only get haircuts and nail "jobs". But I'd bet your daughter's either old enough or close enough to slide by. As a good friend says "never give a bureaucrat a chance to say 'no'" and while the spa folks are very nice, the idea applies. Just book her appointment and walk on in.

A word of caution, though... I pre-booked stuff that ended-up NOT making it from their shore-based center to the ship. So, make your bookings, double-check them before you leave and then TRIPLE-check once you get on board (by phone or at the desk). IF they make any mistakes they will jump through fire to make it right for you.

Enjoy!

Penny, When you're on board the entire operation is wonderful and very impressive. They seem willing to do anything (reasonable) to make you happy. If they make a mistake, they bend over backwards to make it right. (I ordered binoculars for my son for our arrival. After they searched the ship and came up empty, they credited me twice the amount of the binoculars. As just one example.) The people are wonderful.

But the "shore" operation isn't quite up to the shipboard operation. And the two are not intimately connected in too many places. Please don't get me wrong, the "shore" folks are not bad. But they're NOT like the folks on the ship. Maybe "good" vs "WOW!"? :)

So, you have to treat the "shore" folks according to what are probably "normal" expectations. But once you get on-board, you'll be very pleased at what you find.

Oh, and bring your own reading material to the CR Spa waiting room. Their magazine selection is a bit thin.

The "shore" operation isn't quite up to the shipboard operation.

Are you talking specifically about the sap here or do you mean the whole of Cunard? It must be the spa as Cunard's shore operation is nowhere neat their onboard service:D

I travelled last year with 3 girlfriends. 2 of us thoroughly recommend the Thai massage - both girls are excellent, and our other friend enjoyed her reflexology session very much (which also included a head/shoulder massage i believe).

be aware that they do not take phone bookings/confirmations on embarkation day - you need to go up to the spa to book. we booked our thai massages and nail appointments that way, but our friend booked hers later and didn't seem to have much trouble getting an appointment that suited her.

you will enjoy the spa - its great, very relaxing and not thronging with people. we had no hard sell of any products at all

have fun!

Roz

Canyon Ranch the best of any spas I have experienced on sea or on land. I actually liked the CR on Mary better than CR at Gaylord Palms Resort in Orlando. Menu of services live up to their descriptions. Best of all there is no pressure or suggestion to buy product. Canyon Ranch is light years ahead of Steiner Spas which is on many of the ships - where they start selling product before you sit down. The staff at CR is top notch which is far different than the Steiner "fluff and buff" treatment. I had Thai massage, CR facial and several of the Indian treatments - my favorite being the Indian techniques. CR is reason enough to do a TransAtl on QM2. Unfortunately we're going to have more of that awful Steiner Salon "treatment" on new Queen Victoria.

Archived