Orient Beach Is A Mess Right Now!!!

GTO-Girl

Just got back from a cruise last weekend and just wanted to tell everyone that before you pay a cab to go there make sure Orient or any of the beaches on the Atlantic side are now free of seaweed'!!!!!!

We took one look at it and was completely floored. I am not talking about a little bit of green seawwed in the water.....I am talking about thick, massive amounts of thick bush-like brown nastiness that was knee high on the beach (what little beach that was left) and in the water as far put as you could see!!

NO ONE had rented one single chair or umbrella on the entire beach because it was that bad. I feel very sorry for the restaurants there because there were NO one that was staying.

Since you could not see the full effect until you got out of the cab everyone was getting out of cabs, walking to the beach, walking right back and hailing another cab and leaving.

I don't blame the cab drivers for not telling anyone....while it would have been nice, they were the only ones making money!!!! Cab driver said it has been this way for several months.....:eek:

We have gone to Orient for many years and I have NEVER seen anything like it!!

Just got back from a cruise last weekend and just wanted to tell everyone that before you pay a cab to go there make sure Orient or any of the beaches on the Atlantic side are now free of seaweed'!!!!!!

We took one look at it and was completely floored. I am not talking about a little bit of green seawwed in the water.....I am talking about thick, massive amounts of thick bush-like brown nastiness that was knee high on the beach (what little beach that was left) and in the water as far put as you could see!!

NO ONE had rented one single chair or umbrella on the entire beach because it was that bad. I feel very sorry for the restaurants there because there were NO one that was staying.

Since you could not see the full effect until you got out of the cab everyone was getting out of cabs, walking to the beach, walking right back and hailing another cab and leaving.

I don't blame the cab drivers for not telling anyone....while it would have been nice, they were the only ones making money!!!! Cab driver said it has been this way for several months.....:eek:

We have gone to Orient for many years and I have NEVER seen anything like it!!

Were in St. Maarten 11 days ago and yes like you said it was a mess. We did a tour with Bernards and were to have an hour or two there but the tour stopped there for 10 minutes so we could see it for ourselves. It was knee high like you said. Such a shame we were here in 2000 and remember how beautiful it was. I never saw anything like it. Not sure what is causing it I heard some conflicting reports but a few people said it was from Hurricane Gonzolo in late October.

Were in St. Maarten 11 days ago and yes like you said it was a mess. We did a tour with Bernards and were to have an hour or two there but the tour stopped there for 10 minutes so we could see it for ourselves. It was knee high like you said. Such a shame we were here in 2000 and remember how beautiful it was. I never saw anything like it. Not sure what is causing it I heard some conflicting reports but a few people said it was from Hurricane Gonzolo in late October.

Were you able to have any beach time? If so what beach did Bernard take you to?

We are going back to St Martin in June and I just want a Plan B in case all has not been cleaned up....