Another alternative - Celebrity's kayak/Gatun lock tour?

tbmrt

Saw this today on Celebrity's tour site. Would love to hear from anyone who took this tour.

Thanks.

Barbara

Prices Starting From*

$70 USD Adult $60 USD Child

3 hours and 30 minutes

Discover the natural wonders of Panamas rainforests and see the engineering marvels of the historic Canal Zone expansion during this unforgettable ecological adventure near Colon and the Caribbean Sea. You'll steer a kayak along the Canal and around the islands dotting Gatun Lakefilled with tropical birds and capuchin monkeys. Cap this halfday tour with a visit to Gatun Locks and witness the worlds largest construction project: the expansion of the Panama Canal. CO06

Explore the waters of Gatun Lake and see the rainforest of the Panama Canal Zone in your own kayak.

Arrive at the luxurious Sol Melia Hotel near Colon and transfer to the Gatun Locks for a guided, walking tour.

Learn about the expansion to widen the canal by 2015 for the next generation of cruise and container ships.

Our excursion Saturday was a wonderful Panama adventure. For our kayak trip and observation of the Gatun Locks in the Panama Canal, our guide was Alex. The young man gave an informative narration from the port on our bus trip to Gatun Lake, a fresh water lake. The kayak portion on the lake was one hour 20 min. We saw birds and one sloth but Alex said that there are more animals out when it is cooler in January. We were very hot in the sun and the humidity is high but Alex showed us how to start rowing by diving into the lake and climbing into his kayak. We tourist however got into the kayaks from a dock with two men helping us to board. The bus trips from the ship to the lake and then to the Gatun Locks and back to the ship were short – about 20 minutes each. At the locks we watched from a covered room as a ship went through the lock from about 20 ft. away. Watching a huge container ship navigate the lock up close was very interesting and Panama provided free wi-fi in the room

• 2 months later...

We did this tour in 2014 on Royal Caribbean. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

The tour started off with a trip to the Gatun Locks to the visitor center. I didn't think this was necessary, as we would be travelling through the locks the next day. However, I was glad this was included, as it gives you a completely different perspective of the locks than the trip though.

Then we went to the Meliá Panamá Canal Hotel for the kayaking portion, where there was an opportunity to change etc. You will get your feet wet getting into the kayaks, so dress accordingly. I just took my shoes and socks off and left them behind. I just took our point and shoot camera as it was easier to manage and didn't want to risk getting our DSLR wet, although in our case, that wouldn't have been a problem.

Most of the kayaks were double kayaks, which makes it a lot more fun. There were many in our group who had never kayaked before, but it didn't seem to be a problem, as it was an easy paddle mostly along the shoreline. We didn't see a lot of wildlife, but did see a sloth and a monkey. Our guide said there were more monkeys around, but we were only able to spot the one. We probably spent about an hour or so on the lake, which was enough time.

We didn't have a large group, so only had a mini-bus, but it is nice to do something a bit off the beaten track, instead of the usual shopping or city tours. The tour we did, didn't include a meal, as it was a shorter one, but you can buy snacks etc in the hotel. The tour got us back early enough to do some sightseeing around the port area. Some people cautioned about venturing too far, as there are some dodgy areas, but we didn't hear of anybody having any problems. There are shops and restaurants in the port area that are quite nice.

Overall, we had a good time and I would recommend it, if you want to get off the beaten track and see a bit of nature.

We did this tour in 2014 on Royal Caribbean. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

The tour started off with a trip to the Gatun Locks to the visitor center. I didn't think this was necessary, as we would be travelling through the locks the next day. However, I was glad this was included, as it gives you a completely different perspective of the locks than the trip though.

Then we went to the Meliá Panamá Canal Hotel for the kayaking portion, where there was an opportunity to change etc. You will get your feet wet getting into the kayaks, so dress accordingly. I just took my shoes and socks off and left them behind. I just took our point and shoot camera as it was easier to manage and didn't want to risk getting our DSLR wet, although in our case, that wouldn't have been a problem.

Most of the kayaks were double kayaks, which makes it a lot more fun. There were many in our group who had never kayaked before, but it didn't seem to be a problem, as it was an easy paddle mostly along the shoreline. We didn't see a lot of wildlife, but did see a sloth and a monkey. Our guide said there were more monkeys around, but we were only able to spot the one. We probably spent about an hour or so on the lake, which was enough time.

We didn't have a large group, so only had a mini-bus, but it is nice to do something a bit off the beaten track, instead of the usual shopping or city tours. The tour we did, didn't include a meal, as it was a shorter one, but you can buy snacks etc in the hotel. The tour got us back early enough to do some sightseeing around the port area. Some people cautioned about venturing too far, as there are some dodgy areas, but we didn't hear of anybody having any problems. There are shops and restaurants in the port area that are quite nice.

Overall, we had a good time and I would recommend it, if you want to get off the beaten track and see a bit of nature.

I read that the kayaks go from the Melia Hotel. When I researched the hotel and saw a video, I see that there are other boats with guides and also a nature walk/pool at hotel. Can one do this on Celebrity's Kayak/Lock tour?

Has anyone visited the Melia Hotel or gotten a day pass/taxi to get there?

I read that the kayaks go from the Melia Hotel. When I researched the hotel and saw a video, I see that there are other boats with guides and also a nature walk/pool at hotel. Can one do this on Celebrity's Kayak/Lock tour?

Has anyone visited the Melia Hotel or gotten a day pass/taxi to get there?

I suspect the tour is setup like the Royal Caribbean one in that the kayak tour only has the kayak offer and not a chance for other boat tours. There is no time on the tour to do the boat tour as well, if it is structured the same. There may be other tours offered that include a boat instead of kayak tour. The kayak tour is very slow and easy and includes a guide, so most people should be able to do it.

If kayaking doesn't interest you and there are no other boat tours, I think a taxi would be very doable, as it isn't too far from the port. I would ensure you book the boat tour in advance, so you don't waste your time if it doesn't go. Also, I highly recommend stopping at the Gatun Locks visitor center to see the locks in operation.