Grocery Stores on December 26

Cafabi

I made the mistake of contacting some grocery stores on Grand Cayman and asking them if they were open on Boxing Day.

What I didn't know is that Boxing Day is being observed on Dec. 27 this year to allow for Christmas observances on Monday the 26th since Christmas is on Sunday.

I've written back and asked about Dec. 26 specifically since that's when we'll be in port, but so far no responses.

Does anyone know if Foster's and/or Hurley's will be open? Thanks!

As you have determined, both Christmas and Boxing Day are public holidays in the Cayman Islands. If either falls on a weekend then the observed date is shifted to a weekday.

Traditionally the groceries are completely closed only on three public holidays, New Years Day, Good Friday and Christmas Day. Other holidays the groceries are open on reduced hours.

As December 25 is a Sunday this year, the Christmas holiday will be observed on Monday December 26. I would expect that all groceries with thus be closed for the day.

Our experience with land vacations over the holidays says Drew is dead-on correct. :-) Which is understandable considering he lives there.

I'll add that many other (non-grocery) stores will also be closed on the Tuesday for observation of Boxing Day. Tourist-driven shops downtown might open if ships are in, but other stores on the island are often closed until at least the Wednesday when Christmas/Boxing Day fall on a weekend.

We have been here before as a family and did the stingrays-loved it- and beach. Just us this time-couple in their 50's-have a bad knee-so nothing too strenuous. We will be there in early December on RCL Freedom. Don't want to do the turtles after I found out it was a farm. Have thought about the distillery and brewery-any other ideas? thanks

Thanks Drew and Bookbabe-that is exactly what I needed to know.

Oldmom, I recommend posting your question as a new topic in this forum as no one will see your question here unless they are wondering about grocery stores. You might consider a trip to Rum Point or the QEII botanical gardens. I believe the paths are fairly level.

• 3 months later...

As December 25 is a Sunday this year, the Christmas holiday will be observed on Monday December 26. I would expect that all groceries with thus be closed for the day.

And I would be wrong. Go figure.

Foster's IGA is running radio ads saying they will be open on a reduced hours schedule on December 26th. That usually just means an early closing time at 6pm. They put up signs on the doors as well.

Not sure about Hurley's or Kirk Market.

And I would be wrong. Go figure.

Foster's IGA is running radio ads saying they will be open on a reduced hours schedule on December 26th. That usually just means an early closing time at 6pm. They put up signs on the doors as well.

Not sure about Hurley's or Kirk Market.

Wow, thanks for posting this. That's very unusual, but welcome news. My FIL will be there with friends over the holidays, arriving Sunday the 25th, so I'll let him know he can get groceries at Fosters in Savannah on Monday.