NCL Getaway, October 24, 2015

icewoz

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys my husband and I will on this trip. We enjoy the use of the spa facilities and will attempt to be at the Friends of Dorothy LGBT bar meet/greets in the daily schedule.

Pic is from a recent trip we took to Switzerland and Lake Como, amazing trip.

John and Kevin

328938498_Corvatch098.jpg.bd82ad7763450fc849606c420eeed61b.jpg

I only booked the cruise on September 22.

Unfortunately, my partner is busy studying for a certification exam in early November. So, I thought what better than to go on a cruise to give him his space to study. Oh, and I like cruises. :)

My mother, two young kids and I (yes, I'm gay and have always been gay, never married, our kids are 7 y.o. twins) will be on the cruise as well.

My partner and I have been on about 11 of cruises - 3 on NCL, 2 on RCCL, etc. Every time I'd walk by a FOD meeting venue, there'd be no one there, yet, when you look at the photos, you'd see guys and 'couples' who were probably on our team.

Anyway, I'm from Toronto. I've been to Royal Oak a few times (Detroit Zoo), a friend who lives at 10 Mile and Woodward, etc.

Looking forward to chatting with you guys. Will you be at the cruise critic thing or just the FOD?

Scott

Welcome Scott!

I'm sure we'll be at least at the FOD meetings, not sure time or place, but hopefully it'll be in the Dallies. May go to the CC M&G. Too bad you'll be with out the hubby, but it'll be fun with the kids and mom, I'm sure!

There have to be more people than us on this sailing!

BTW, I noticed that the ship no longer posts photos for all to look at, which is too bad. Now you look in a book assigned to you that has photos based on facial recognition.

Too bad.

Three weeks to go!

We'll hunt down the others onboard!!!

If a Holland-America Cruise could have 8 gay couples on it (with one elusive couple that apparently was too good to hang out with us), there has to be more.

I'm constantly checking out the photos of ships on PortFever. They post the "Getaway" every so often.

If you guys want to meet up before we leave Port on the 24th, my cell is: 248-939-3933. From what I can find out, the LGBT meetings are at 8pm. That's usually about the time we go for dinner.

Does anyone have any excursions booked? I think in St. Thomas we're going to go to Magens Bay for awhile, then head into town for some shopping. We were interested in going the St. Johns, but the excursions there are either too short or too long. We'd like to spend some time in St. Thomas.

In Tortola, we're doing the Virgin Gorda excursion. Not the snorkel/catamaran, the one where they take you on buses to the Gorda so we can see some of the town.

In Nassau, I'd like to go to the Atlantis waterparks for the day, but have been hearing about how unsafe Nassau is. I'm not sure what to think.

I'm not sure if it's me or the link.

As for excursions, I've been to St. Thomas a fair amount. I've heard a lot about the tour you describe. I think the ship one would be the 'safest' in terms of getting there and back, given the fact Tortola appears to be a relatively new destination.

As for Nassau, been there once or twice and not very impressed by it.

I'll probably look for an Internet cafe there rather than pay $20-30 to Pay-as-you-go on the ship.

As for meeting up, I don't use my phone on cruises as Canadian cell phone plans suck big time!

We're in 12230. I'll probably be putting the kids to bed around 8:30 pm unless mom is able to handle them - which she should be able to do by now.

And you'll notice an older lady, myself and two kids (7 y.o. boy and girl) and you'll figure out that it's me. :)

Slumming it with a balcony eh? :)

Ours was a guarantee cabin. I was hoping for a bigger balcony, not 32 sq. ft. where you can barely turn a chair. But at least both our cabins are port side so you can see everyone getting on/off the ship. :)

We booked 4 speciality dining dinners at 5:30 pm since most everyone is used to eating early.

At least the kids will be in bed by 8:30 pm or so. During the day they're in the Splash Academy (just down the hall). They usually go for the morning and afternoon so I get free time during the day.

Hey guys, not sure if I'm the slow one and just discovered this, or if it truly a well kept secret...

If you call NCL and tell them you're a Dolphins fan, you'll get a $50 stateroom credit. I called and got my husband and myself $25 OBC each.

While it's not much, it's something!

Worth a try - and let me know if you guys knew about this.

I'm not sure if it's me or the link.

As for excursions, I've been to St. Thomas a fair amount. I've heard a lot about the tour you describe. I think the ship one would be the 'safest' in terms of getting there and back, given the fact Tortola appears to be a relatively new destination.

As for Nassau, been there once or twice and not very impressed by it.

I'll probably look for an Internet cafe there rather than pay $20-30 to Pay-as-you-go on the ship.

As for meeting up, I don't use my phone on cruises as Canadian cell phone plans suck big time!

We're in 12230. I'll probably be putting the kids to bed around 8:30 pm unless mom is able to handle them - which she should be able to do by now.

And you'll notice an older lady, myself and two kids (7 y.o. boy and girl) and you'll figure out that it's me. :)

It's not you, I don't think you can promote fb groups on here, my bad!

Well, at least we know where everyone is staying so we'll find each other.

As for calling and saying I'm a Dolphins fan, UNFORTUNATELY, I'm a Lions fan.

0-5 as of now and maybe 0-6 by the time we all meet up.

I keep looking at price drops but it seems all the mini-suites are sold out anyway so that won't matter.

And I didn't know you were doing the name tags for the Meet and Mingle.

Cool!

BTW, how come there only appear to be 7 gay guys on this cruise?

Edited by Volunton
wrong number

Sorry to hear about the Lions! I don't have any particular affiliation so it wasn't too much of a stretch for me to claim being a fan.

I see the guaranteed mini-suite is just a few $s more but I like our location so not sure I'll take a chance.

I try to be creative, i.e. The name and door tags but didn't really have much time to spend. I leave for Nashville Thursday and then Orlando on Monday. Hubby is meeting me there and then drive down for a couple of nights on SOBE - then board!

Hope to meet all of you guys!

Craig and Jose

... Before your vacation. Nice!

We fly out early Sat. 24th. Have to clear customs here in T.O. so we will be up at 3:30 am. You guys will just be getting to bed ... or at least not asleep. ;)

I always read too much about everything about the ships before I cruise. All the negative reviews make me laugh - They only had 6 entrees. Part of the carpeting was ripped in the hallway. I didn't get a towel animal. The room steward wasn't friendly. I like to have a connection. (That's because they're cleaning 20 rooms a day!)

Hopefully we won't find stupid things to b**** about too. :)

I'm looking forward to tanning and sleeping and playing trivia games, people watching, good food. Nothing fancy.

What about you guys?

Ok, so I perhaps fibbed a bit. Decided to upgrade to the mini-suite after all. Seems they have to cabins open, one regular mid-ship and one aft facing. It's a roll of the dice, but a 50/50 chance of getting the aft! I'll be happy either way - and I'm betting on the mid-ship. At least we'll have the fancy bathroom :)

That's great!

About the only advantage is the regular-sized tub. The balconies are about 3x10 sq ft. I suspect this will be the narrowest/smallest balcony I've had when I've had balconies. But it is still nice to have it. If you get an aft suite it will be nice. :). I'll be jealous. :)

Keep me update re: your cabin number.

9 days and counting!

Sorry about the Rangers btw.

Scott