ICEBERG DEAD AHEAD? !!!! for those of you on QE2 world cruise

highcbob

The icebergs are rather a minor problem. I am rather more concerned about the rioting in Tonga. Apparently 80% of the main township has been destroyed over the past day or two. It looks like this is a port we will have to miss. I wonder if we will have a substitution? It is a pity as I have never been to Tonga before.

Regards, Louise

The icebergs are rather a minor problem. I am rather more concerned about the rioting in Tonga. Apparently 80% of the main township has been destroyed over the past day or two. It looks like this is a port we will have to miss. I wonder if we will have a substitution? It is a pity as I have never been to Tonga before.

Regards, Louise

Louise, I have read all the articles and apparently most of Nuku'aloufa has been destroyed. I am sure we will not call there, but I do recall someone saying that Cunard did not alter QE2's calls at some of the ports affected by the 2004 tsunami.

On another note, your comments and suggestions about world cruise matters have been so helpful to me. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed by the organizing and packing. I hope to meet you to say hello on board.

Dear Bobby,

Yes it is a worry about Tonga, but if the civil unrest is over by the time we are due to anchor there, we might still stop. It depends on what excursions they had planned upon. If the excursions were mainly away from the township, then it is still a possibility the ship might still stop there. Or there might be another island nearby. However, they do take the safety issues very seriously (especially under Captain McNaught) so all will work out for the best.

Please let me know if you have other questions - I will try to answer them. The first time I went on QE2 I had no idea what to expect but everyone is very nice and you will feel very comfortable I am sure.

Regards, Louise

Dear Bobby,

Yes it is a worry about Tonga, but if the civil unrest is over by the time we are due to anchor there, we might still stop. It depends on what excursions they had planned upon. If the excursions were mainly away from the township, then it is still a possibility the ship might still stop there. Or there might be another island nearby. However, they do take the safety issues very seriously (especially under Captain McNaught) so all will work out for the best.

Please let me know if you have other questions - I will try to answer them. The first time I went on QE2 I had no idea what to expect but everyone is very nice and you will feel very comfortable I am sure.

Regards, Louise

Thanks for the reassurance, Louise. It's a big move for me. I am retiring early and this cruise is a present to myself. Although I am well-traveled, this is the first really big one alone. Regarding the shore excursions, is a complimentary shuttle offered between the pier and center city in ports where the ship is docked a bit away? I am not fond of packaged tours and want to do as much as I can independently. Also, I have a dining room question/dilemma: I have requested a large table (8) in Caronia. At home I tend to dine later, usually around 8:30. I realize this might be considered late (if not in the middle of the night!) for some of the world cruisers. Do you have any suggestions about how to handle this aspect? I am OK with 8:00 but anything earlier will not be as pleasurable for me. I want this cruise to be what I need it to be, but at the same time I do not want to incur the wrath of dining room companions. If most of the table wanted to dine early at 7:00 and I came in at 8:00, in your experience can that be done? Any advice on these issues will be most appreciated. I hope to meet you aboard. Do CruiseCritic people try to get together?

Regarding the shore excursions, is a complimentary shuttle offered between the pier and center city in ports where the ship is docked a bit away? I am not fond of packaged tours and want to do as much as I can independently.

Yes, they had a shuttle to get us into town if we did not dock close by the city center. On our last cruise we took one ship tour, (that we will never do again:mad: ) and all the rest we just got off the ship and went exploring. We found tours on shore that met our needs and were a bit cheaper than the ships. And guess who we kept bumping into, yep, the folks from the ship. We had a wonderful time.

Also, I have a dining room question/dilemma: I have requested a large table (8) in Caronia. At home I tend to dine later, usually around 8:30. I realize this might be considered late (if not in the middle of the night!) for some of the world cruisers. Do you have any suggestions about how to handle this aspect? I am OK with 8:00 but anything earlier will not be as pleasurable for me. I want this cruise to be what I need it to be, but at the same time I do not want to incur the wrath of dining room companions. If most of the table wanted to dine early at 7:00 and I came in at 8:00, in your experience can that be done? Any advice on these issues will be most appreciated. I hope to meet you aboard. Do CruiseCritic people try to get together?

We had a table for 4. We liked to show up early around 7 and stay late, usually until after 9. Our table mates enjoyed a drink in the bar then came in a little after 8. This was never a problem for us nor did it seem to be at other tables. We would all talk until they started closeing up then move on to some other part of the ship to continue our conversation or go our seperate ways to find new people to talk to. Something that is never a problem on the QE 2.

Across from us was a table of 6 singles and they all showed up at different times. They had a lot of fun at there table no matter how many were there or when they showed up.

Don't worry about your table and when you want to eat. If it is a problem just ask to change tables. It is your VACATION.:D

Don't worry about your table and when you want to eat. If it is a problem just ask to change tables. It is your VACATION.:D

Thank you, Raphael, for a most helpful response. I am looking forward to meeting you... I recall that you and your party enjoy the Chart Room later in the evenings. Let me know if you need anything in terms of suggestions for your day in New York. My TA said that the sailing is almost certain to be from Manhattan, not Brooklyn. It seems there are unresolved issues in Brooklyn regarding the ship's stores and luggage. That will make your day in New York much easier in terms of sight-seeing or having lunch at a great restaurant!

Bobby

I recall that you and your party enjoy the Chart Room later in the evenings.
Yes Bobby, we were in the habit of finishing our day in the Chart room listening to music. The Golden Lion was too smokey and the Yacht club was a bit loud for us. We will probably do the same on this cruise but, it's a different time, with different people, so we will see where the seas take us this time.
Let me know if you need anything in terms of suggestions for your day in New York. My TA said that the sailing is almost certain to be from Manhattan, not Brooklyn.
We had our fingers crossed for Manhattan. We would like to take our daughter to see Times Square, Broadway, and the Statue of Liberty. Plus what ever else time will allow us to see weather permitting. We are thinking about hiring a car to take us around since we have no idea where we are going.:rolleyes: What do you think of that idea? We thought that a taxi might be too crazy.:eek:

We had our fingers crossed for Manhattan. We would like to take our daughter to see Times Square, Broadway, and the Statue of Liberty. Plus what ever else time will allow us to see weather permitting. We are thinking about hiring a car to take us around since we have no idea where we are going.:rolleyes: What do you think of that idea? We thought that a taxi might be too crazy.:eek:

Raphael, the website for the New York Consolidated Passenger Ship Terminal (nycruiseterminal.com) is now listing QE2 in Manhattan! So you will have your wish! Having a driver would allow you to get around alot faster and thereby see more, although cabs are, most generally, abundant. The general rule is that the more extreme the weather (rain, cold, snow), the harder it is to find cabs. If your daughter likes art, the new MOMA - Metropolitan Museum of Art is wonderful. It is located on 53rd Street, between 5th and 6th Avenues, not very far from the pier. I think the Christmas tree at Rockefellar Center may still be up, too. Enjoy.

Bobby,

You will find many retired educators on the World Cruise. I certainly have found that in the past.

As for the shuttle buses, they are provided in any place where the ship does not dock directly in the town. So, for example, in Lyttleton, N.Z. (which is really only a port) shuttle buses are provided to take passengers to Christchurch. However, quite often there are long queues of people wanting to use the shuttle buses, so it can be a wait. I usually try to take a taxi as there are generally a few taxi drivers nearby waiting to pick up those who cannot be bothered with the shuttle buses. I had a wonderful scenic tour by taxi over the hills from Lyttleton to Christchurch, whereas the shuttle bus took the shorter and less scenic route through a tunnel.

In regard to the dining arrangements, I usually eat late at home as I work late, and even on the ship would not arrive at dinner before 7-30 or 7-45. In the past I have found that we have been seated with passengers that like to arrive at dinner as soon as the restaurant opens, therefore, it would often happen that they would be on their main course or dessert before we would arrive. However, it did not seem to bother them. Indeed, the reason so many get to the restaurant on the dot of 7-00 is that they can finish by 8-00 and go to get their seats for the (early) show. There are a whole group who seem to get to the show at least half an hour before it starts. I think it must be rather boring to wait so long, but one complaint is that there are not enough seats for the shows, so that is why so many arrive early. I expect they are competing with the Mauretania early seating diners who would have finished well before 8-00pm. I do not bother much with the shows, although many passengers seem to be amateur entertainment critics, find the shows to be the highlight of the day and spend a lot of time talking about them. As show is repeated again around 10-30, if you dine late, you can always see it then.

Regards, Louise

Thanks Bobby

We are going to hire a car to run us around New York. Newer and less hassel than a cab.

We will see you in the Chart room after dinner.

That will be the best. You are welcome and thank you for all the good advice you have offered me. I am looking forward to meeting you in the Chart Room sometime after dinner.

Bobby

Bobby,

You will find many retired educators on the World Cruise. I certainly have found that in the past.

As for the shuttle buses, they are provided in any place where the ship does not dock directly in the town. So, for example, in Lyttleton, N.Z. (which is really only a port) shuttle buses are provided to take passengers to Christchurch. However, quite often there are long queues of people wanting to use the shuttle buses, so it can be a wait. I usually try to take a taxi as there are generally a few taxi drivers nearby waiting to pick up those who cannot be bothered with the shuttle buses. I had a wonderful scenic tour by taxi over the hills from Lyttleton to Christchurch, whereas the shuttle bus took the shorter and less scenic route through a tunnel.

In regard to the dining arrangements, I usually eat late at home as I work late, and even on the ship would not arrive at dinner before 7-30 or 7-45. In the past I have found that we have been seated with passengers that like to arrive at dinner as soon as the restaurant opens, therefore, it would often happen that they would be on their main course or dessert before we would arrive. However, it did not seem to bother them. Indeed, the reason so many get to the restaurant on the dot of 7-00 is that they can finish by 8-00 and go to get their seats for the (early) show. There are a whole group who seem to get to the show at least half an hour before it starts. I think it must be rather boring to wait so long, but one complaint is that there are not enough seats for the shows, so that is why so many arrive early. I expect they are competing with the Mauretania early seating diners who would have finished well before 8-00pm. I do not bother much with the shows, although many passengers seem to be amateur entertainment critics, find the shows to be the highlight of the day and spend a lot of time talking about them. As show is repeated again around 10-30, if you dine late, you can always see it then.

Regards, Louise

Thank you, Louise, for all the information. You are my world cruise guru! I anticipate having several pieces of luggage as well as some roll-on/carry-on pieces. I am assuming there is no limit. Big question: What happens to the luggage that cannot be stored under the bed? Can it be held in a storage area until the end of the cruise? Thanks, again, for the advice.

Bobby

Dear Bobby,

There is no limit to the amount of luggage you can take on board, as long as you are not proposing a truck-load.

As to the storage of the empty cases, I think that in Caronia you should have a wardrobe and you could store some in there, but I am not such a good person to ask this question as I have not been inside a Caronia stateroom, but I would hope that you have at least one wardrobe.

I know that there are storage areas for suitcases. This year I was very surprised to see that one family in a stateroom on the Boat Deck had several cases outside their door everyday, and it seemed to me that they were putting things in and out of storage nearly every day. It all seemed rather weird to me, and took me a while to work out why there were always different suitcases outside the door.

I also heard there are some people who actually only had clothes they wore on QE2 and they left the clothes on board the ship 365 days per year even if they were not on board themselves. But as I never met these persons myself, but only was told this by the crew, I cannot be sure. Also, it might be something that was done several years ago, and not now.

However, the storage places still exist (at least on the Boat Deck).

Regards, Louise

Dear Bobby,

There is no limit to the amount of luggage you can take on board, as long as you are not proposing a truck-load.

As to the storage of the empty cases, I think that in Caronia you should have a wardrobe and you could store some in there, but I am not such a good person to ask this question as I have not been inside a Caronia stateroom, but I would hope that you have at least one wardrobe.

I know that there are storage areas for suitcases. This year I was very surprised to see that one family in a stateroom on the Boat Deck had several cases outside their door everyday, and it seemed to me that they were putting things in and out of storage nearly every day. It all seemed rather weird to me, and took me a while to work out why there were always different suitcases outside the door.

I also heard there are some people who actually only had clothes they wore on QE2 and they left the clothes on board the ship 365 days per year even if they were not on board themselves. But as I never met these persons myself, but only was told this by the crew, I cannot be sure. Also, it might be something that was done several years ago, and not now.

However, the storage places still exist (at least on the Boat Deck).

Regards, Louise

Dear Louise,

Again, thank you for the insight. I have a unique Caronia single cabin on 3 Deck in that it is configured for 2 people and has a bed and a sofa bed. There are 2 wardrobes, a large dresser and a large full bathroom. (I actually saw the cabin in January 2006 when I was abaord for a visit.) I am not sure (and not complaining) why this cabin is categorized as a single CA when on 2 Deck there is an exact duplicate in terms of layout/configuration which is categorized and sold as a C-2. So I will have the benefit of 2 wardrobes, but I think they will be filled with suits, tuxes, sports jackets, shoes... I think I will need to have some of the suitcases stored and I am glad that it can be done.

I can hardly focus on anything but cruise preparation. My passport came back with the 3 required visas in order. I am purchasing a quadband cellphone today so I can stay in touch with home. Do you recommend using the QE2 internet service for email? I know there are packages that can be purchased. WWhat recommendations do you have in terms of taking cash or travelers checks along for small purchases? For tips to crew/staff?

Again, thanks so much. You are a big help.

All the best,

Bobby

What recommendations do you have in terms of taking cash or travelers checks along for small purchases? For tips to crew/staff?

Hi Bobby

I travel around the planet a lot and I always use cash. I just don't carry a lot of it when I go out. Take what you think you will need, your passport, and a credit card and leave the rest in your room safe. I try to use my card as much as I can so that I don't have a pocket full of coins that I can't get rid of when I leave. When I start to run short, then I can add to my US cash with local currency from a local ATM. I have always been able to find one that liked my ATM card where ever I am in the world.

I am purchasing a quadband cellphone today so I can stay in touch with home. Do you recommend using the QE2 internet service for email? I know there are packages that can be purchased.

I took my cell phone with me last year and was surpized at how many ports I was able to use it in, and the price wasn't to bad. You can also buy phone cards on shore that you can use that are very cheap. We mostly stayed in touch with home using the Internet. When you get an email they slip it under your door. Then I would format the response in word, log on, cut, paste, and send. On and off in a flash. The Internet on the ship was spotty sometimes, but I was very happy with it. It was very nice to sit by the window in the Yacht Club with my lap top and email home. Talk about a corner office with a view. The hard part was to stop looking out the window and type.

I can hardly focus on anything but cruise preparation.

Sounds just like my house. Everything is laid out, most of the bags are packed and we are ready to go, thanks to my wifes expert planning. The clock is ticking and we can't wait to head for the ship.

See you in New York.

Hi Bobby,

In regard to your query about cash, as US currency is the official currency of the QE2, I mainly take that, and also some currency of the main other countries also being visited. The one thing I try to avoid is to exchange currency on board the ship as the exchange rate on board is generally not very good. The Purser's office has a big safe, so you can put money in there, rather than keeping it all in the small safe in the stateroom (which I do not think would foil a determined thief).

I also found that my normal mobile phone works in most places, and even out at sea sometimes. And out at sea I have also used the telephone in the stateroom to call home every second day, and the cost is not so bad as it used to be, but most other passengers do not ring home so frequently from the ship.

A lot of people do use the internet on board, which has its technical problems from time to time. However, as one reason for me to go onboard is to get away from the internet, I have not used it.

I am bemused that you and Raphael are so well advanced with your preparations. I have to go to Sydney on business and will not be coming back much before Christmas. I am not really thinking about the QE2 trip just at the moment - only when I come over here to check your latest comments!

Regards, Louise

I am bemused that you and Raphael are so well advanced with your preparations. I have to go to Sydney on business and will not be coming back much before Christmas. I am not really thinking about the QE2 trip just at the moment - only when I come over here to check your latest comments!

Regards, Louise

And I thank you for that! I am always thinking about the cruise... How this? How that? What about this? What if...

I will board exhausted! I only hope the cabin staff will store my luggage in the hold. I will have no room in my stateroom otherwise. I appreciate the advice about cash & the option of the purser's safe as opposed to the room safe. I agree that the cabin safes seem vulnerable. Louise, do you embark in NY? Please let me know when and where I can meet you to offer a beverage of your choosing and in the lounge of your choice to thank you for the many kind words of advice and reassurance. :)

Be well,

Bobby

Louise and Bobby:

I will have to buy at least one round of drinks after I embark in LA, since I continue to receive the benefit of great answers without having to ask the questions myself.!

Dave.

Bobby & Dave,

I am coming on board in San Francisco, so by then Bobby will have had 2 weeks to become familiar with the surroundings and will probably have wandering into places even I have never been. For example, I only got around to visiting the Princess Grill restaurant last year when I was inspired by Thomas (eccentric crew member and conductor of a tour of the features of the ship) to go and see the decor of the Princess Grill. I also got lost on deck four (I think it was four) when I came back from shore and took a wrong turning. I wanted to go to my cabin on one deck, and found a stairway, but it kept going up and up and bypassed one deck and I eventually I found myself outside an entrance to the Mauretania restaurant, so I had to go back down to four deck again to extricate myself from the predicament. My mother who was following me was not at all keen on being led so far astray up and down all the stairs. I also seem to get lost on two deck quite frequently if I venture too far from the familiar path. So mainly I just stay along the limited number of corridors and staircases that I know.

As I am coming on in San Francisco, it would be nice if we could get together then, maybe the following day when we are at sea would be a good time to meet up, as I am always furiously unpacking the first night. Bobby can fill Dave and I in on all the happenings/rumours on board since New York. Perhaps we should meet some time before lunch in the Yacht Club - please let me know if it suits.

Regards, Louise

Let me see?? We're going to buy Bobby a drink in NY, Louise D. a drink in San Francisco and Dave a drink somewhere(???). I guess we'll have to buy ourselves drinks out of Southampton. Oh, well, we'll be ready for all of you when you get onboard. Raphael will be back at the computer tomorrow, so we can nail down meeting places soon. We like the Chart Room in the evening. The Yacht Club sounds good out of S.F.. See you soon-29 days and counting for us to leave for Southampton. Yeah!!!.

As soon as Raphael brings the tuxes and suits home that he had made in Shanghai (he lost weight and nothing fits), our bags will be packed!!!!

Janet-Raphael's wife

Hi Janet

Good to hear from you as well as Raphael. At this rate, with members joining at various ports along the route, we might be able to schedule a CC get-together each time! Looking forward to hearing more from you and Raphael.

Regards, Louise

Bobby & Dave,

As I am coming on in San Francisco, it would be nice if we could get together then, maybe the following day when we are at sea would be a good time to meet up, as I am always furiously unpacking the first night. Bobby can fill Dave and I in on all the happenings/rumours on board since New York. Perhaps we should meet some time before lunch in the Yacht Club - please let me know if it suits.

Regards, Louise

Louise,

I am thrilled by the plan and will look forward to meeting you and Dave in the Yacht Club the first day at sea after SFO. I will get there at noon and hang out at the bar. Let me know if this is to your liking. I have enjoyed our CC conversations and look forward to having more conversations in person. I will ferret out all the gossip and rumors. If there are no good rumors or if it is dull, I can even start some! Good luck on your business trip to Sydney and don't get too exhausted.

Best regards,

Bobby

That works for me as well. See you all then (and possibily Bobby a day or so earlier).

I'm certainly looking forward to this after our 11-inch snowfall today, which reminded my why I won't be sorry to miss a good part of the winter here in the Midwest.

Dave.

Archived