Calling Budget Queen

beckers

Okay, I am a newbie travel agent and have some clients who want the Princess Cruise Tour. I can't talk them into doing this on their own like I did for 25 days last June, driving the Alaska Highway. :D

Their question is when do the salmon run and can they see the northern lights.

They are going in early September, what can they expect.

They wanted to do the Heart of Alaska which would include two nights Fairbanks, 1 night Denali, 1 night Talketnea, 1 night Anchorage, but would take my suggestion.

I think they should skip Fairbanks, and do 1 night Anchorage, two nights Denali,(Tundra tour), and Copper River at Wrangell St. Elias National Park.

Critique please. As always thanks for your expertise.

They aren't likely to see Northern Lights on a cruise tour, just can't get away from the hotel lights. A car is necessary in my opinion. Yes they may see a strong display, but it is definately superior if you get in your car and get to a dark area away from all lights. No comparism in my experience. :)

For clairfication, do your homework on the Denali Park tour, I would never consider recommending any tour that has the Natural History tour, which yours probably does. Princess does not stay in Talkeetna, the McKinley Princess lodge is 50 miles away.

There is a lot of time in transit if you include the Copper Princess, good fishing there however. But not a place I would be without a car.

As for fishing, top area will be Ketchikan.

If you care to email me for more specifics. But I am not a good one to ask about the tours, I don't think any of them are good by the cruiselines.

I second your recomm to do a cruisetour with 2 nites at denali if seeing wildlife is a priority. Then be sure and book either the 6-7hr tundra tour or shuttle bus to Fish Creek. Less than this has much fewer wildlife sightings on the average. Fairbanks or Wrangle depends on what their interests are.

Thanks Budget Queen and JohnQ - Thanks for the heads up on the intransit time to Copper River. Something that would not be appreciated. I will have to ask many questions as to what they are looking for, and yes I know you do not recommend the tours, but you know how people are NOT independent and must travel in groups. I do know that Princess does have the Natural History tour and I already know to recommend they upgrade to the Tundra tour for additional $30 per person. If they don't do that they why even go.

I think then it would be better to go with the Heart of Alaska and caution of moving every day and see what they are looking for with staying one night Denali and one night McKinley, two nights Fairbanks. I just think Fairbanks in my opinion is wasted. I would rather spend it at Denali or McKinley. I have to do more research. Thanks for your help but it is up to them and what they want. I can only tell them the facts and let them decide what it important to them.

Becky

Archived