Dubai- What to wear??

geegeecruiser

We will be in Dubai for several days before our cruise in May. Are there any "rules" for ladies as to dress? I know it will be hot, but are longer legnth shorts and tee shirts o.k. Do people dress up during the day for touring around? Is it more formal in the evening at the better hotels/restaurants?

Women must cover their knees and shoulders, nothing too tight, revealing or see through. Shorts are frowned upon for men and shirts should be buttoned up and not showing of a heap of chest hair. Swim suits are only suitable at the pool. Have a shawl handy in case you visit any religious sights.

Dubai is very progressive but it still holds traditional values. They also don't like to see public displays of affection so no kissing or holding hands either.

We will be in Dubai for several days before our cruise in May. Are there any "rules" for ladies as to dress? I know it will be hot, but are longer legnth shorts and tee shirts o.k. Do people dress up during the day for touring around? Is it more formal in the evening at the better hotels/restaurants?

You will be MUCH cooler in a long, gauzy cotton wrap skirt and a long sleeved gauzy cotton shirt. Keep the sun off your skin as much as possible. Think about Arab men and women and those those long gowns they wear. The women, for modesty and rules of Islam. But the men-they could wear shorts, long pants or anything they wanted. Those long gowns are actually very cool in the hot sun. As posted, shorts and t shirts other than at "Americanized" beach resorts are really frowned on. And please don't wear them in the lobbies and bars of hotels, "Americanized" or not.

I have an entire wardrobe of long, gauzy cotton skirts, most purchased in Bangkok but the same things are sold all over Ebay. They are cool, easy to walk in, do not offend anyone and if you ever run into a "squat" toilet, you will be VERY happy you have on that long wrap skirt. NOTHING nastier in my book than trying to keep your pant legs up off the floor while trying to balance yourself on a squat toilet. Just whip off your wrap skirt, hang it over the door or side partition and do your business.

Agree with Jacs posting on clothes. When we were in Dubai visiting a mosque, a guard stopped a woman who had a tank top on & would not permit her to enter until her shoulders were covered.

• 4 weeks later...

I was very anxious about what to wear and about what they would do in customs/immigration as we had to bring in our meds. It all went quite smoothly. Here is a link to the posts I have on my blog about our trip:

http://karenrobbins.blogspot.com/search/label/UAE%20-%20Dubai

Enjoy! And if you have opportunity to see the mosque, take it!

• 4 months later...

Just returned from Dubai and found that many of the posts were greatly exaggerated. Use common sense regarding what to wear. I wore a ¾ sleeve tee shirt and either a mid calf skirt or cropped pants. NO problem. The meds were a non issue also.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with mn2ga. I was also just there in November and wore denim capris and t-shirts with short sleeves. Because I was going into a mosque I had a blouse with those rolled up/buttoned up sleeves that I could roll down when inside. When not in the mosque I just kept the blouse tied around my neck, like you would a sweater. I also kept a scarf tied onto my bag for my head when I needed it.

The dress was pretty casual and we seen everything from traditional clothing to business attire, plunging necklines, some very short skirts and a lot of very high heels!

We also seen people holding hands and men with their arms around their lady friends.

We were not asked about meds at all.

It's a wonderful place....a real mix of old traditions and the new lifestyles.

I agree with mn2ga. I was also just there in November and wore denim capris and t-shirts with short sleeves. Because I was going into a mosque I had a blouse with those rolled up/buttoned up sleeves that I could roll down when inside. When not in the mosque I just kept the blouse tied around my neck, like you would a sweater. I also kept a scarf tied onto my bag for my head when I needed it.

The dress was pretty casual and we seen everything from traditional clothing to business attire, plunging necklines, some very short skirts and a lot of very high heels!

We also seen people holding hands and men with their arms around their lady friends.

We were not asked about meds at all.

It's a wonderful place....a real mix of old traditions and the new lifestyles.

Yes, to the the Rhodes. Ignore all of the sensationalistic "warnings" and enjoy Dubai.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, to the the Rhodes. Ignore all of the sensationalistic "warnings" and enjoy Dubai.

Spend more than a day or two there. Go to a local restaurant and listen to the comments. You are in their country. The comments behind your back would make you angry or blush. They don't like the short skirts, shorts, tank tops, etc. etc. but they tolerate it because Dubai has absolutely nothing for income except tourism and some financial stuff. They have NO OIL. In fact, during the huge financial meltdown in Dubai when they were seriously looking at bankrupting a lot of stuff and expats were fleeing by the 1000's, UAE (Abu Dhabi) that does have oil bailed them out. And underneath those abayas very often are clothes that are suitable for going to any 5* restaurant in NYC. Most Middle Eastern women dress very, very well. And yes, they wear a lot of very high heels.

I spent 8 years in and out of the Middle East working. Lillybob, who posts frequently on this forum, LIVES THERE NOW. I would no more think of walking around Dubai in shorts and a t shirt than running naked through a football game in the USA. Why does anyone want to portray the "ugly American" image in a foreign country? Just can't figure it out.