Sydney Hotels Feb/15

robcruz

We'll be staying in Sydney starting Feb. 19 for 5 days after our cruise on the Voyager OTS. Looking for hotel or furnished apartment recommendations in central Sydney possibly in the US$150-200 range if such things exist. Thanks in advance for your help.

Robert

Good day Robert.

Also try booking.com. Well regarded online booking site. As you're staying for 5 days, in my experience, an apartment would be more comfortable, and similar in price to a decent hotel room. Accommodation in the city centre isn't cheap especially towards Circular Quay (where you dock) and The Rocks area nearby which is at the northern end of the CBD (Central Business District). But if our dollar keeps dropping look in that area. Otherwise look towards the southern end of the CBD heading towards Central Station end. Darling Harbour for a hotel might also be worth looking at. Hope this is of some help.

One of my favourites is the Meriton Campbell Apartments. These are up near the main station though not in the tourism area of circular quay. They are well located for Darling harbour and Chinatown.

Feb is traditionally an expensive month so booking now is important. You will just get the beginning of the Gay and lesbian Mardi Gras festival so prices tend to rise You also have a saturday night in there which tends to really increase prices.

Try also Travelodge phillip st (there's one at Wynyard too) and The Hyde Park Inn.

We'll be staying in Sydney starting Feb. 19 for 5 days after our cruise on the Voyager OTS. Looking for hotel or furnished apartment recommendations in central Sydney possibly in the US$150-200 range if such things exist. Thanks in advance for your help.

Robert

Robert, We are using the "Medina Serviced Apts-Martin Place" for our 2 day pre-cruise stay. We got a decent price of $336.36 +VAT of $33.64 AUD..With the conversion this comes out to $322.70 US...or about $160 a nite.

No breakfast but there is a McDonalds down the street. We booked an efficiency apartment. If you are staying for 5 days, you could make toast and such and run. Has an equipped kitchen.

We booked through booking.com and this hotel does not charge you until check in...that rate was a refundable rate as well. I would never book anything unless I did refundable/free cancellation.

I had booked us into a B&B for one night (free cancellation) and then had to change our plans a bit. Found out they charged us immediately,,,,,still waiting nearly two months now for our refund! $300,00 tied up...ugh!

If you can find a rate which includes breakfast for about $12.00 pp extra, that is a good rate. Food is expensive over there.

We are arriving in Sydney at 6AM and the hotel agreed to hold our luggage for us, no fee, until we can check in. That way we can drop and run! :D

Be careful with the older heritage hotels. They don't always have private bathrooms, (not our choice) we like our privacy. And some do not have elevators.

Good luck with your search.

Dee

$200 USD a night is roughly corporate rate for many 5 star hotels in Sydney in a standard room. My personal favorite is the Shangri La who have a superb breakfast buffet and are just a few minutes walk from Circular Quay; I'm there for business from tomorrow for a few days as it happens.

What I do when on holiday is to book a room at a chain hotel that I will be happy with that offers a 24 hours cancellation policy and then a few days before my stay I look on wotif.com and see if there is something better for less and often there is.

Edited by MrYellowDuck