Auckland Hotel Suggestions & transit to airport

corpkid

Hi all,

Will be spending 2 days after our cruise in Auckland and were looking for some central hotel suggestions. Also, we have a very early flight on departure (6:40am) and were wondering how to get to the airport and how much time to budget. We will be flying AUK - BNE - LAX on Qantas.

Thanks!!

Edited by corpkid

Hi guys, We are doing the reverse of your cruise AKL to SYD on Hal. I have chosen the Hilton which is right near the docks so dont need taxi too pier on embarkation day . I also looked at the Langham its got great reviews have some friends staying there, Every body has told me too just take a taxi into town about 30- 40 min ride they said, enjoy your cruise . Steve

The Langham is a very nice hotel -- we stayed there on 3 occasions when it was the Sheraton Auckland. However, on a more recent trip we wanted to be closer to the CBD (and docks). The Langham is not within walking distance from the docks, at least with luggage. It is at least a mile, and distinctly uphill. There are numerous other hotels (most of them more economical, if that matters) closer to the docks.

John

Edited by J-D

The Langham is my favourite Auckland hotel. It is not in a great location, but nor is it in a bad one. It has free shuttles down to the main part of the city should you choose to make use of them, otherwise the walk down to Queen Street is easy and down hill. It's the walk back to the Langham which is a bit tricker, but not too bad for people of good health.

If you can afford it, consider an upgrade to a club room. The evening cocktails and are excellent. My husband and I usually find that we are so full after the canapes we don't need a sit down dinner.

Eight is a great buffet. A bit expensive, but unlike many buffets it aims for quality as well as quantity.

By the way, a taxi to the airport would be very expensive, but at that hour of the morning it would probably be your quickest and most convenient option.

There are shuttle and bus companies that you could investigate as an alternative. the Langham may have a company that they use and can recommend.

The AirBus has a pickup point one street over from your hotel (on Queen St). It was quite convenient when we used it from the Hilton earlier this year. Your hotel will probably pre-purchase a family pass for you (if not, you can do it on the web) so that you don't have to try to pay when you board.

A non-stop trip at that hour of the morning should not take more than about 40mins.

You should aim to be at the airport 2 hours before your flight.

If catching a taxi, organise pick-up for 4am and you should be fine. If going by bus, you may need an even earlier pick-up than this.

The NOVOTEL at Auckland Airport offers very low daily rate including full breakfast if you book on line and pay in advance .

Shuttle bus at any time from Airport to City Centre. So consider staying at Airport NOVOTEL .