Wheelchair into the water?

KCMiller

I'm traveling shortly with my mother, who is in a wheelchair (mobility issues, no other medical complications). Her one wish is to go into the ocean - she hasn't been in the ocean since 1957. We'll do whatever it takes to make this happen, but can anyone tell us - is there a wheelchair that goes into the ocean? Do those beach wheelchairs safely roll in? And do they usually have them on private islands?

Thanks so much,

KC

When we were there they pushed me to a sandy area and let me on a lounge but said we could not use it to go into the ocean. I was very disappointed. It was several years ago so maybe the rules have changed. Hope so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm traveling shortly with my mother, who is in a wheelchair (mobility issues, no other medical complications). Her one wish is to go into the ocean - she hasn't been in the ocean since 1957. We'll do whatever it takes to make this happen, but can anyone tell us - is there a wheelchair that goes into the ocean? Do those beach wheelchairs safely roll in? And do they usually have them on private islands?

Thanks so much,

KC

Generally speaking the Beach/Water Wheelchairs are safe. However the critical unknown is the actual weight capacity for type of beach/wheelchair provided. A basic rule of thumb would be that the chair has at least a 250 lbs. maxium unless otherwise stated by the cruise line. Whether you will be allowed to take it into the ocean varies by cruise lines and even varies depending on the island staff on the actual day.

The Beach/Wheelchairs that are provided by most cruise lines on their private items are on a first come first served basis and cannot be reserved. Therefore there's always the probably that one might not be available at the time you need it.

Edited by xxoocruiser

The only place that we were not allowed to take the beach wheelchair into the water was in Labadee. I don't know why because the chair was the same as at other places.

If you are lucky enough to get a beach wheelchair at your port, there are some safety considerations. How mobile is your mother and can she swim?

I can swim very well and my husband pushes the chair into the water far enough that I can slip off of it and enjoy the water. When I am done, he brings the chair in far enough that I can climb back on to it and he wheels me up the sand. This is not as easy as it sounds but I have great upper body strength and can climb up into a chair that is bobbing in the water. My husband is also very strong.

Good luck!

I do not know where you are going, but if you book a day trip to a beach resort, you could call and ask if they have beach wheelchairs. I also do not know how large your mother is, so that might be an issue, as has already been said. The beach wheelchairs are great and your mother would have a great time.