Cape Horn Route to Rio, 4 Jan - 17 Jan 2016

X1HYCB

Hello cruisers! My wife and I are going on that cruise aboard Star Princess and are we excited to spend our 50th wedding anniversary! This is our first South America trip and would appreciate any information as to lodging, tours, etc. Since we're coming from CA we'd like to spend several days before and after cruise. We're thinking of leaving LAX on 28 Dec, arriving 29 Dec. Hoping to go to Iguazu Falls on 30 Dec and returning 1 Jan, spending the remaining days at Rio "til we board the Star. Again, we'd appreciate any additional information to make this trip memorable.

Crown Princess, 2014, CA Coastal

Royal Princess, 2014, Caribbean

Pacific Princess, 2013, Europe (Grand Mediterranean)

Sapphire Princess, 2013, Hawaii

Ruby Princess, 2012, Europe (Northern, Baltic)

Coral Princess, 2010, Transcanal

Diamond Princess, 2010, Asia

Caribbean Princess, 2009. Canada/New England

Grand Princess, 2003, Caribbean

Sea Princess, 2003, Alaska

GOD IS GOOD!!!

The time around Reveillon (New Years Eve) is a popular one for Brazilians to travel. Most often hotels sell multi-night packages for (usually) December 28 to January 2. There is usually sufficient demand that they do not have to compromise by taking shorter reservations. Keep this in mind when trying to book hotels during that period.

The falls take about 3 days, 2 nights (of which 2 half days are travel from/to Rio) to see the basics. Be prepared for very hot, humid weather.

To get a good idea of Rio, plan for 4-5 days. The site http://www.ipanema.com gives a good overview of sights, neighborhoods, music, museums, beaches, history, etc (If you have more planning questions, please ask.)

The important historic/cultural sights in Brazil IMO include not only Rio, but the charming Colonial towns in the mountains of Minas Gerais state, the African heritage still visible and audible in Salvador, and Recife/Olinda. Natural treasures include the Pantanal wetlands to see animals and birds, and many other unique areas in addition to the more commonly thought of Amazon.

Happy travels.

Hi! Do you have any suggestions? We're at Rio 29-30 Dec. Leave for Iguazu til 1Jan. Return to Rio on 1 Jan and check out 4 Jan for the cruise. Will the hotel let us store our bags from 30 Dec to 1 Jan? Thank you.

Hi! Do you have any suggestions? We're at Rio 29-30 Dec. Leave for Iguazu til 1Jan. Return to Rio on 1 Jan and check out 4 Jan for the cruise. Will the hotel let us store our bags from 30 Dec to 1 Jan? Thank you.

Suggestions for what? I'm not clear what you are asking. Hotel suggestions?

Do you already have a hotel that allowed you to book for only Dec. 29 and 30?

And how about the dates at the falls?

If not, be aware that demand may be such that you may have to pay for a package in Rio, although you may also be paying for a hotel at the falls on the same dates. In that case, you can certainly "store" bags in the room. Prices for hotels at Reveillon rise 2-3 times over normal high season rates, although the excellent current exchange rate should help a bit.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Sorry for the not-so-clear communication. I meant the hotel at Rio (29-30Dec and 1 Jan-4 Jan16). We already have a package tour for Iguazu. Thanks.

And I am sorry if I have not been clear in two posts that all hotels I know of in Rio sell multi night (Dec 28 to Jan 1 or 2) packages without exception, and book fully on that basis.

Please let us know which Rio hotel you find that makes an exception, now or perhaps closer to NYE when they might agree to compromise if not fully booked for the full package by then.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

My daughter finally reserved our room with Windsor Guanabara in Rio (29-30Dec), (30Dec-1Jan at Iguazu) and return to Guanabara (1Jan - 4Jan 2016.) The Windsor emailed me that they do not have airport shuttle service. I guess taxi is the next option or a company? I also hope and pray the hotel would store our luggage while we're at Iguazu.

Another issue to hurdle is the visa application. My visa appointment at Los Angeles is on 18 Dec - incredible! This tit-for-tat is making our lives difficult. I am really sorry.

Yes, the Winsor Guanabara, because of its location away from the festivities centered on the beach neighborhoods of the Zona Sul, is one of those that might be less than fully booked for Reveillon and willing to make compromises on the "package". Outside of business hours, the area of the centro becomes fairly deserted. You do not want to wander in deserted areas in Brazil; take a taxi to and from after business hours. I suggest looking for something in the Zona Sul (Copacabana, Arpoador, Ipanema, Leblon) for the end of your trip (after the package dates). You will have a different experience of the city in those neighborhoods.

Btw, there is luggage storage at both GIG and SDU airports in Rio, as well as at the rodoviaria ( bus station).

Edited by VidaNaPraia

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry for the not-so-clear communication. I meant the hotel at Rio (29-30Dec and 1 Jan-4 Jan16). We already have a package tour for Iguazu. Thanks.

Could you please tell me what is your package to Iguazu and approximately how much , we are looking at same from Rio after finishing our cruise. Regards Maggie and John.

Could you please tell me what is your package to Iguazu and approximately how much , we are looking at same from Rio after finishing our cruise. Regards Maggie and John.

Maggie and John--

If you would like to make your own plans, it may not be as complicated as you might anticipate. You can look at the airline sites for GOL and TAM. There are some direct flights. Purchasing well ahead will get the best fares. Hotels can be booked on hotels.com or another booking site. You could plan to arrive on a direct flight to IGU airport, taxi to see the Brazilian park, overnight, see the Argentine side including a boat trip under the falls, overnight, and see the Bird Park, and fly out of IGU to Rio in the afternoon. It is very easy to get around the area, including crossing the border, by local public bus or by inexpensive taxi. It is also quite safe. Larger luggage can safely be left in Rio, at either the downtown or int'l airports or your hotel, for more convenient travel.

Best wishes for a great trip.