Last minute trip to Denali

risa00

I know I'm posting in the wrong place because I'm not exactly taking a cruise. I took one at the end of May to Alaska, but this time we're just going to fly directly from Seattle to Anchorage. We always wait last minute to plan for Labor Day trips. So less than a week to go we figure, why not go back and visit Denali since we didn't see it before. Since I don't have a year to plan this like I did the cruise and really only have less than a week, please help!!! We're in our late 20s/early 30s. What's the best way to get there from Anchorage? Any recommendations on places to stay (prefer a cabin)? Any tour guides that would help us see wildlife, kayak, hike? We'd prefer to skip the big buses and instead have smaller groups. Good restaurants? Thank you for the last minute help!!!

I know I'm posting in the wrong place because I'm not exactly taking a cruise. I took one at the end of May to Alaska, but this time we're just going to fly directly from Seattle to Anchorage. We always wait last minute to plan for Labor Day trips. So less than a week to go we figure, why not go back and visit Denali since we didn't see it before. Since I don't have a year to plan this like I did the cruise and really only have less than a week, please help!!! We're in our late 20s/early 30s. What's the best way to get there from Anchorage? Any recommendations on places to stay (prefer a cabin)? Any tour guides that would help us see wildlife, kayak, hike? We'd prefer to skip the big buses and instead have smaller groups. Good restaurants? Thank you for the last minute help!!!

1. Rent a car-then you can stop in all kinds of places

2. I don't like the place myself, but Denali Cabins sound like it is right up your alley. Individual cabins, great hot tub. They were VERY clean. I just don't like cabins. Don't count on the restaurant being open, but if you have a car, you can certainly get food. http://www.denali-cabins.com/

3. Check out the National Park website. All the trips into the park, including camping and hiking. Rangers can be a great help with hiking. Take the trip as far into the park as you can.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/

4. Jeff King's Kennel is not very far from Denali Cabins.

Enjoy!!!

We rented a car and saw a few sights on the way north. Stayed at McKinley Chalets, which was fine. Try the Salmon Bake restaurant - very good! DEFINITELY take the shuttle bus as far as you have time for into the park - it is soooo worth it! On our trip to Wonder Lake a few weeks ago, we saw 12 grizzly bears, 10 wolves (including a mom and pups), caribou, and lots more wildlife.

I am doing exactly the same thing next July. Just paid for my airline tickets today! I love Denali. Have been there twice (once in June 06) and am going again next July.

If you can get seats, you might consider flying to Fairbanks rather than Anchorage. It is 2 hours closer to Denali by car than if you flew into Anchorage. But more to see en route from Anchorage to Denali.

I stayed at McKinley Creekside Cabins about 10-15 miles south of the park. Very nice and very reasonably priced. Maybe $150/night/cabin. They have a reasonbly-priced restaurant attached.

If you can get it (doubtful this late), you might try to contact Skyline Lodge. I think you would love the place. It is deep inside Denali NP at Kantishna. They have three rooms there, each for up to 4 people. It is run by the people who operate Kantishna Air. info at katair dot com is their EMail address. It runs +-$175/night w/o meals. You can buy meals from them or bring your own. You take the camper bus there and back.

If you can't get into Skyline Lodge, whatever you do, try to get a shuttle bus to Wonder Lake. There are shuttle busses to other places not so far into the park but Wonder Lake gives you the best chance to see Mt. McKinley and the views are spectacular. Also, if you take the 5.15am shuttle, it will give you up to 5 hours at Wonder Lake, where you can take a nice hike on the McKinley Bar Trail or elsewhere. You can take any shuttle bus back.

There are some adventure outfitters near Denali. I rented a bicycle from Denali Outdoor Center - docadventure at hotmail dot com. When I was there, a family was getting ready to go white water rafting. I thought I was adventurous camping at Wonder Lake!

Depending on how long you will actually be gone, renting your car at an off-airport location will save you about $100 per week. That means taking a taxi or hotel shuttle from the airport to the location (and back again of course). Enterprise has a location about a 10 minute drive from the airport. My rate for next July is $156/week at that location compared with $257 if I were to pick up at the airport.

Read the past couple months of thread titles and you will get tons of ideas.

Don't know if you've considered it but we're renting an RV from www.GreatAlaskanHolidays.com for two weeks next summer. This might be an alternative for you. I like the idea of just unpacking ONCE and being able to put some groceries in the fridge so I can eat when I want without having to find a restaurant. I think the rate for this time of year is around $120 per day plus gas and mileage and they will pick you up at the airport in Anchorage.

Don't know if you've considered it but we're renting an RV from www.GreatAlaskanHolidays.com for two weeks next summer. This might be an alternative for you. I like the idea of just unpacking ONCE and being able to put some groceries in the fridge so I can eat when I want without having to find a restaurant. I think the rate for this time of year is around $120 per day plus gas and mileage and they will pick you up at the airport in Anchorage.

You will love their RV's! We rented from them in July and had an absolute blast! We had a 32' with a slide out and it was quite roomy. I also liked having to only unpack once, and we saved quite a bit by buying groceries rather than eating out all the time. We had the RV for a week and I drove 1,100 miles -- much easier to drive than I had anticipated.

Have a great trip!

Archived