few extra hours in port

dggdvm

Hello,

We'll be in Belize for a day in late October. We're planning on doing a flight seeing trip of the blue hole. This trip lasts about 1.5 hours, but I know it will take a while to get off the ship in the morning. Even so, we will have a few hours (around 4 I'm guessing) left after the trip. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions to fill this time. It looks like most of the ruins are too far to make it, but we'd be looking for something adventurous or local. We don't really care for the beach or just sitting/relaxing. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Depending on what time you return to Belize City, you may not have time to head anywhere else. Most ships' last tenders leave Belize City around 4PM or 4:30Pm, ship time, not Belize time (which can be a couple of hours behind if you're coming from the east coast). There is a small manmade beach about a 15 minute taxi ride from the pier. Nearest ruins, Altun Ha, are about 45 minutes away and would take over an hour to truly see. Plus you'll need a guide. Snorkeling excursions even from private vendors generally leave in the AM and return mid afternoon. You might have your taxi driver at the airport give you a brief tour of Belize City, take you to a good local restaurant for Belizean lunch and then drop you off at the Tourism Village (tender pier). Across from the TV is a small crafts market selling locally made goods. And inside the TV are several stores and a couple of restaurants.