First time in Belize, cave-tubing or ruins?

malmo288

This will be my first time to visit Belize. I know it is known for both the ruins and the caves but I can't decide which would be the best excursion to start with. I will be going in a group of four, ages ranging from 26-46. All of us are adventurous and love to see the historical sights which makes it hard to choose. :confused: Which one should we see & do for our first time to Belize?

Its really a toss up; we have done several of the ruins but we are considering tubing in Nov. If you choose tubing there might be a zip-line optional add on which would complete that adventure. If this is your first trip to Belize than tubing sounds perfect as you will be busy. Most of the ruins require and long drive and you will be there less than 2hrs before the return trip back.

I think my boyfriend and I are leaning more towards cave tubing and his brother and wife are leaning more towards ruins. Which of the ruins were your favorite that you've been to? Are they all that long of a drive to go see? And have you ever done the Tour to the ruins taking the river as well?

I think Altun Ha will satisfy your BIL/SIL's ruins jones. It's not as far away as Xunantunich or Lamanai, which is probably the most interesting of the 3 but furthest away and only done through private vendors risking missing the ship if you miss the last tender. You do take a boat part of the way.

Altun Ha is nearer Belize City and a short walk down a jungle path and there is a River Wallace excursion that goes there. Very scenic. In Belize, unlike the Yucatan, you can still climb up the temple steps. Check out the pictures on the web of all 3 sights.

Cave-tubing is a blast in someways, especially on a hot day, but it is in essence a tied together float down a lazy river.

We have been to Altun Ha, Xunantunich and Lamanai. The last two are a full day and they can be done either through the ship or private tour. Just have to remember there risk because of the distance. Most ships have tours to Lamanai and Altun Ha. Both are good tours. If they go to Altun Ha total time is around 4.5hrs which will give some extra time at the port before having to get on the tender. Unlike the ruins in Mexico you can climb some of the temples for some pretty nice views. Remember it is going to be hot in the jungle and to bring water, hat and sunscreen. (snacks are also a nice addition) for the ride to/from.

Lamanai is the ruins which requires you to journey up the river and it is fun. You will see wildlife as you power up the river. The main temple is very steep and the view from the top is great. You are just above the jungle canopy. There is a helper rope to assist as the climb is not for the faint of heart. Steps are not consistent in height or width and step. Many will make it to the top while others stop. Its funny when you get to the top that some people will butt step their way down. Nothing like using your butt to bounce your way down. The trip back is even faster as you do not stop for wildlife viewing. It is one of favorite excursions. You can either go with a ship or private excursion. The last time we went with the ship and got back to the pier just in time for the last tender.

I hear a lot of good things about these lamanai ruins but they aren't offered by carnival, which is who I'm sailing with. I'm a little nervous since it is a tendered port taking a tour not offered by carnival so my only options are altun ha Mayan site & river Wallace, altun ha & Belize city tour, and xunatunich Mayan ruins with lunch. If I did choose to do ruins it would probably be one of these. Any thoughts?

I feel like the ruins is recommended more for first timers from what I've read so far from you guys?

Thank you so much for sharing and helping make this decision! We travel in September! :D

River Wallace. It may be a bit more "lame" than the river excursion up to Lamanai, as often you don't see that much wildlife. But you do get to see some country side. As previous poster has cautioned, do bring water, hat sunscreen, bug repellent, maybe a rain parka (watch the weather for storms before leaving on the cruise) and dress appropriately for the temperature that day.

I think Carnival does River Wallace up bus back or vice versa.

Have a great time:)

I hear a lot of good things about these lamanai ruins but they aren't offered by carnival, which is who I'm sailing with. I'm a little nervous since it is a tendered port taking a tour not offered by carnival so my only options are altun ha Mayan site & river Wallace, altun ha & Belize city tour, and xunatunich Mayan ruins with lunch. If I did choose to do ruins it would probably be one of these. Any thoughts?

I feel like the ruins is recommended more for first timers from what I've read so far from you guys?

Thank you so much for sharing and helping make this decision! We travel in September! :D

If you choose to do Altun Ha I would recommend doing a private company rather than through the ship. It is not as far away and a shorter tour so there should not be any reason to not make it back in time.

We used Coral Breeze Tours a few years ago for a private tour for our group of 14, it was a wonderful time! We also did Lamanai this year through the ship and although the Lamanai site is larger and very nice, we enjoyed our private Altun Ha tour much more.

Thanks for all the info shared on ruins. But I haven't got much information on what y'all think about cave-tubing? Is it because you'd rather go to ruins? I'd love to hear some thoughts on cave tubing too! :)

Thanks for all the info shared on ruins. But I haven't got much information on what y'all think about cave-tubing? Is it because you'd rather go to ruins? I'd love to hear some thoughts on cave tubing too! :)

This is our first time to Belize so I don't have any first hand experience with cave tubing, however, you may want to consider doing both cave tubing and a Mayan ruin. We're doing both Cave Tubing and visiting the Altun Ha ruins with cavetubing.bz on Christmas day.

The $100 fee includes transportation, lunch, water, rum punch, equipment, tour guide and admission to the ruins.

Nancy

This is our first time to Belize so I don't have any first hand experience with cave tubing, however, you may want to consider doing both cave tubing and a Mayan ruin. We're doing both Cave Tubing and visiting the Altun Ha ruins with cavetubing.bz on Christmas day.

The $100 fee includes transportation, lunch, water, rum punch, equipment, tour guide and admission to the ruins.

Nancy

That sounds interesting. I didnt even know that was as an option. How long of a day is that? Cause one of my biggest fears is missing the last tender back to the ship.

That sounds interesting. I didnt even know that was as an option. How long of a day is that? Cause one of my biggest fears is missing the last tender back to the ship.

We're in port from 7am to 5pm. I emailed cavetubing.bz about combining the tour (there is also info on their website) to make sure we'd have enough time. We were told it would not be a problem, but that the nature walk to the cave tubing starting point would not be as leisurely as it usually is (the guide will normally take time to point out the wildlife along the trail).

Here's the confirmation email we received about getting off the ship:

Thank you for your confirmation. You have been added to our list of bookings. If you meet others on the ship you can bring them along for the tour.

Please make sure to come off the ship as a group so as soon as we meet we can begin the tour in order to have plenty of time before the last tender.

When you arrive at the cruise terminal there are 2 security guards at the door and you can ask them where TERMINAL 1is if you are not sure. Meet us OUTSIDE TERMINAL 1. Following the instructions will take you 5-10 minutes to meet us. We wear yellow polo shirts that say cavetubing.bz and you must ask for Vitalino Sr. or Vitalino Jr.

Please take the earliest possible tender to mainland. I know it is difficult to take the earliest tender because the Cruise Ships always give priority to those who book with them, but please take note that once your reservation is confirmed I will wait for you until you arrive. However, if you want to have a very enjoyable day in Belize at a slow pace please come off the ship early.

Thank you very much for choosing and supporting my family own and run business. Looking forward to seeing you here in my beautiful country Belize.

Can not comment about tubing but I can about Xunantunich - it is the entire day tour. If going with Carnival you will have priority tender so you can get on the road without waiting. You will see lots of country side before getting to the ruins. After you complete your tour on the way back you will stop for lunch. Most likely you will get back in time for the last tender. If your tour is late they will wait for you as you are on a tour sponsored excursion. Tubing and Zip-lining is a good option for you and there is a lot of information on this forum about it. No matter how you look at it, you will have fun.

Can not comment about tubing but I can about Xunantunich - it is the entire day tour. If going with Carnival you will have priority tender so you can get on the road without waiting. You will see lots of country side before getting to the ruins. After you complete your tour on the way back you will stop for lunch. Most likely you will get back in time for the last tender. If your tour is late they will wait for you as you are on a tour sponsored excursion. Tubing and Zip-lining is a good option for you and there is a lot of information on this forum about it. No matter how you look at it, you will have fun.

Thank you so much for sharing! And I know we will have a good time especially thanks to everyone's input! All the other ports I have things planned and it was an easy decision, but on this one my party is split on what they want to do so we are trying to reach out to the cruise critic family! :D

Anyway, I hear xunatunich is further then altun ha. Did you feel it was worth the long ride?

Xunantunich will take up your entire day with at least 5hrs of it being on a bus or a van. Altun Ha will only be 2hrs traveling round trip. Taking the shorter trip to Altun Ha will give you time to relax and enjoy. The ruins there are nice and you will be able to climb some of the temples. Some have a hard time justifying 5hrs total transportation time for 90mins of touring. Having been to all three of them we liked our trip to Lamania but also took a personal tour of Altun Ha/Baboon Sanctuary with a local couple and had a nice lunch in town. You can have the best of both - Tubing and Altun Ha for $85 cavetubing.bz