Fat Acceptance vs. Fat Shaming

snorkelman

The discussion you link takes place at a body-building web site. It was not at all surprising that the majority of the posts had highly negative responses toward obesity and generally oppose "fat acceptance." Yet body builders are folks who dedicate a tremendous amount of time and sacrifice to their craft... more than most"regular" people can manage in their own lives.

That is my quarrel with the popular show "Biggest Loser". So many Americans are overweight, but how many can devote so much time to the grueling exercise and Spartan diet regime these contestants follow? Even then some don't lose weight some weeks, especially women.

I don't think scientists really know how to help ordinary folks lose weight safely and keep it off permanently without making the daily sacrifice of intense and time consuming body builders' programs. The typical person just cannot commit that much time and strenuous effort, especailly the older they get. Plus body builders strive for an especially low level of body fat. I'm not sure the average person needs to reach that low level.

Frankly, I found it quite uncomfortable to read the contempt some of the body builders have for obese people but few had any really useful advice or inspiration for solving the obesity that we have in the US. All they really offer is their disgust. Thye really do practice fat shaming with a vengence.

I don't support fat shaming or fat acceptance. To me they are just buzzwords. I think people need to be honest with themselves.

The fact is that when it comes to decisions about weight (and anything else) there are going to be consequences whatever the person chooses to do (or not do).

There's can be no denying that people who are overweight (myself included) are risking their health. The more a person is overweight the more it will impact their lives.

Some people are disciplined enough to control their weight with diet and exercise. I wish I was one of them. These people are healthier, have more energy, have a better self-image and are more attractive to others. The downside is that it takes self-sacrifice to live that lifestyle.

Whatever a person decides to do about weight and health is up to him (or her). But let's not kid ourselves about the consequences.