Docking at Port Canaveral 6 am to 9 pm. Is Busch Gardens doable?

sherezada

Going on the Anthem of the Seas next week with our kids (7 and 4). We have a stop at Port Canaveral April 12 docking at 6 am and leaving at 9 pm. We have recently done Disney, Legoland, Sea World, Gatorland...so we were looking for something we haven't visited. Considering Busch Gardens. Do you think it would be doable, given the 2 hr drive? Busch Gardens hours are 10 am-8 pm on that date.

I don't see Universal on your list of 'been there'

much closer than BG .....

you've done all the various parks at WDW????

and don't rule out Kennedy Space Center ... that's just minutes from the port .....

you already know the down side to BG ... two hour drive each way ....

Going on the Anthem of the Seas next week with our kids (7 and 4). We have a stop at Port Canaveral April 12 docking at 6 am and leaving at 9 pm. We have recently done Disney, Legoland, Sea World, Gatorland...so we were looking for something we haven't visited. Considering Busch Gardens. Do you think it would be doable, given the 2 hr drive? Busch Gardens hours are 10 am-8 pm on that date.

Tampa is 130 miles away and you have to go through the southern half of Orlando and traffic. If the ship arrives at 6:00 AM it's doubtful you will get off until about 7:00 AM, then it's a rush to get a rental car and get on the road. It's going to be at least 2 1/2 hours of driving each way, maybe more if you run into traffic problems and wrecks on the Interstate, so if all goes well you could get there when they open. You'll have to be back onboard by 8:30 PM so to be safe you need to be on the road no later than 5:30 PM which means you need to be heading to the car before 5:00 PM. If all goes perfectly well you could have about 7 hours in the park, but... If something happens on the way back your whole family could miss the ship. So where's the next port after Port Canveral?

Love Busch but it tends to get very crowded and there's so much to see. It would be tough to get there with the traffic and deal with the crowds and manage to see everything before leaving. I-4 from Orlando to Tampa can be a mess. I would also suggest Universal Studios in Orlando. Much easier to get to and a very fun place as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I would not chance it due to rush hour traffic. I-4 can be a nightmare if there is an accident. Traffic can be backed up for a good while from Plant City to Hillsborough Ave ext in Tampa and vice versa.

In addition to the traffic in the Disney area. If you were to try it, allow 3 hours for travel going to Busch Gardens and returning.

I live in Tampa and I wouldn't take a chance because of traffic. I really think Busch Gardens is very over rated. Universal would be my pick and for the age of your kids, I would do one park and not two of them. Do Universal Studios where they have Harry Potter World. You won't be disappointed. Islands of Adventure, I think is geared more to teenagers and adults. Enjoy your vacation!!!

Sorry, I didn't see where you have already gone. LOL

Edited by psouthcomb
older post

even if it is doable, it would not leave you with much time too fully enjoy Busch gardens. I would never attempt this, but this just me, because I am always watching my watch...nervous nellie timewise. I would save Busch Gardens for another trip, maybe take a cruise from Tampa someday, and come in a day or two before the cruise and have more time to fully enjoy. JMO.

oops sorry op, I just see that you have already sailed. Hope you had a great cruise.