Caves in Mumbai, India

BrisQld

• 2 weeks later...
One of our ports next March is Mumbai, and we were thinking of visiting some of the caves. Can anyone give advise on which are the best ones to go to in a short day trip.

Does anybody know the port for Mumbai. I will be on Oceania Insignia which is small ship (R type with 675 passengers). Is the port far from the caves and the other sites of the city. Of course I understand the city is huge but need to know the likely starting spot for 2 days of touring.

We walked from the ship to the Gate of India harbour and caught a small tour boat out to Elephanta Island to see the caves. The trip over took about an hour and we stayed another couple to explore. The walk from the small dock is about a block long absolutely flat, then climbs a staircase lined on each side with various vendors. Actually, the prices for their souvenirs were quite reasonable and the young men were friendly - not too pushy. There has been some damage to the statues in the caves. Apparently many years ago they were used for target practice! There was a guide explaining some historical details to a group but some pre-reading will give you the information you need. Snacks and cold drinks were available for sale on the pathway and on the small boat. Watch out for the grabby monkeys.

We walked from the ship to the Gate of India harbour and caught a small tour boat out to Elephanta Island to see the caves. The trip over took about an hour and we stayed another couple to explore. The walk from the small dock is about a block long absolutely flat, then climbs a staircase lined on each side with various vendors. Actually, the prices for their souvenirs were quite reasonable and the young men were friendly - not too pushy. There has been some damage to the statues in the caves. Apparently many years ago they were used for target practice! There was a guide explaining some historical details to a group but some pre-reading will give you the information you need. Snacks and cold drinks were available for sale on the pathway and on the small boat. Watch out for the grabby monkeys.

How long did it take to walk to the Gate of India and how far do you think it was?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How long did it take to walk to the Gate of India and how far do you think it was?

Also do you know anything about the Kanheri caves on the western outskirts of Mumbai, in the Sanjay Ganadhi National Park?

I was wondering how long it takes to get there? And if it is a better site than Elephanta Caves? Many thanks

Wendy

• 8 months later...

Thank you for all that information. It was just as you said. It was a great experience. We did buy some items from the stalls that lined the stairs. They had great prices, and had some nice things. Saw the monkeys grabbing other people's things. But we went prepared. Had a good morning, which left the afternoon to look around Mumbai. Again thanks for all the info, it was very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums