Shore Excursion help needed for Alaskan Cruise

brtraveler

My husband and I are going on the Vancouver to Vancouver trip leaving on August 27, 2006. We are both in our fifties and are fairly active folks.

Listed be are the excursions we are thinking about for our ports of call. I would appreciate any feedback, recommendations, or responses from people who took these excursions.

Wrangell - Anan Bear Observatory - either through the ship or with a drop off and pick up service with Sunrise Aviation. Stikine river tour also sounds interesting too- but I would really like to see Brown bears in a natural habitat.

Juneau - The Glacier Trek or Walkabout. (Has anyone done the trek - if so how strenuous is it and what sort of things did you do? Did you go into a crevasse?) Possibly considering the Canopy Tour in the afternoon but worried about being too cold. We did do zip lines in Costa Rico last year and they were great. I know I have read very many positive responses about Capt Larry's whale watching but the glacier trip sound more enticing to us.

Skagway - The Ice Field Flight seeing and Dog Sledding (mushing a sled sounds like too much fun). Maybe the Dyea Bike Adventure in the PM.

Sitka - either the Wildlife and Beach Trek or the Sea Otter and Wildlife Excursion. Does anybody recommend one over the other? Had thought about the Dry Suit Snorkeling - but we do a good bit of this in tropical areas and were afraid that this might be disappointing and too cold?

Ketchikan - I have arranged for a stream fly fishing excursion.

Again, any thoughts, comments or recommendations would be helpful.

Thank you,

Brtraveler

You have a great list of varied selections. :)

Anan is frequently past peak late August, you may want to consider Traitor's Cove which is blacks. Myself, I only do costly tours during peak. Also look at Pack Creek for their sighting stats?? Verify both directly with the venders for current information. Certainly can vary.

Glacier dog sledding in the past 3 years has been over before your timeframe, definately consider a back up plan in case.

Glacier trekking gets consistant raves, consider the longest tour you can. The short ones barely get going before they are over. You do not get into crevases, you may enter a ice cave. Depends on conditions. You can rent bikes in Skagway and easily ride the Dyea Road, these tours go in all weather.

In Sitka the potential marine wildlife and birds are significant. This also is likely your only opportunity for puffins if of interest? My preferences is clearly more time on the boat vs off on a "beach". Independents are also superior in my opinion, especially if you want to see puffins- then get a trip that includes St. Lazaria Island.

Thank you Budget Queen for your very helpful insight.

I have definitely considered Pack Creek as an option for seeing Brown Bears and have sent out several inquiries, but I have not gotten any responses back. Do you know of an independent (or several for that matter) who I can contact for Pack Creek,

Again, thank you very much,

Brtraveler

Archived