Rome

Marianna49

Hi Fellow Cruisers,

I am planning an upcoming pre-cruise visit to Rome in September of this year. Since I have been many times, I am looking for something out of the ordinary to do (two days). I wanted to visit Isola Tiberina, but that would not take all day. I was interested in the dungeons in the coliseum. Any suggestions?

This thread may give you some ideas:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1496996&highlight=rome+less+visited

P.S. Although people (and even tours) refer to the area underneath the Colosseum as "dungeons", they are not. A dungeon is a medieval concept (and word), associated with castles. The underground of amphitheatres like the Colosseum were more like staging areas, not dungeons.

Two side excursions we like from Rome are :

1. The Roman ruins as Ostia Antica the old port of Rome . You take the Metro part way and change to the Lido train alighting at Ostia Antica. The Roman ruins are better and more intact here than the much over hyped Pompei. Full details and how to get there by public transport on the Ostia Antica website.

2. A side trip to the delightful hillside town of Siena . Take the train 90 minutes from Roma Termini to Siena. Out front of the station take the funicular railway to the top station. Then a shuttle bus takes you right up into the ancient town . Check out the magnificent Duomo, climb the tower for great views in the town centre. Also on the way down check out the spectacular St Patricks well to the left of the Upper Funicular station .

Yes sorry, heavy night . In my post two back in this thread reference to Siena should read Orvieto. The delightful hill town of Siena is of course a side trip from Firenza . Apology for the confusion .

My family and myself will be visiting Rome on a Sunday. I realize the Vatican Museum is closed. Can anyone tell me if the following churches are open for visiting on a Sunday.

Abbazia di San Paolo Fuori le Mura

Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano

Church of Sant'Ig****o di Loyola

Basilica di San Clemente al Laterno*

Basilica Di Santa Prassede

Santa Maria della Concezione*

Also, is this a realistic itinerary for a day in Rome or should I be more selective. What about transportation between these sites.

*These are of particular interest.

Thanks for your help.:)

Edited by Marianna49

Back in the fall of 1978 I found myself in Rome on a Sunday and wandered over the St. Peter's square in the morning and lo and behold it was mobbed and I got to witness a service conducted by Pope John Paul II. It was an amazing experience never to be forgotten. You never know!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My family and myself will be visiting Rome on a Sunday. I realize the Vatican Museum is closed. Can anyone tell me if the following churches are open for visiting on a Sunday.

Abbazia di San Paolo Fuori le Mura

Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano

Church of Sant'Ig****o di Loyola

Basilica di San Clemente al Laterno*

Basilica Di Santa Prassede

Santa Maria della Concezione*

Also, is this a realistic itinerary for a day in Rome or should I be more selective. What about transportation between these sites.

*These are of particular interest.

Thanks for your help.:)

That's a lot of churches. :D

I find the best way to look up hours is to Google, for example, "Basilica di San Clemente Rome official website". Usually the official site pops up -- if not first then not far down the list. For example, this came up first:

http://www.basilicasanclemente.com/

(I assume this is the one you mean, as I've never heard of a San Clemente al Laterno.....)

I always try to verify hours on the actual websites. They can change too frequently and there's no telling how often some of the travel websites that list this kind of info are updated.

Edited by cruisemom42

hi! i will be in Rome in August. We are on the Regal Princess. I was planning on going to St Peters Square from Navona Square. I have struggled to figure out a bus or metro link - think there isnt a direct point to point connect. May be a taxi is my only and best choice. Believe the walk is about 40 minutes (and probably unsuitable if it's really hot). if anyone has better ideas, I'd be grateful.

Yes sorry, heavy night . In my post two back in this thread reference to Siena should read Orvieto. The delightful hill town of Siena is of course a side trip from Firenza . Apology for the confusion .

not far from orvieto is bagnoregio,,, however there is an uphill walkto the village as no cars are permitted ....it is an amazing place! I think you would need to take the train to orvieto and the bus to bagnoregio or rent a car.. its approx. 1 1/2 hours outside of rome.. we will be renting a car in October .. can't wait to go back again there might be buses now from rome that go there as it is becoming popular :(

Edited by Host Star