Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > North American Homeports > East Coast Departures
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

East Coast Departures
Baltimore, Boston, Cape Liberty, Charleston, Montreal, New York, Norfolk, & Philadelphia l

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 9th, 2008, 05:45 PM
janetz's Avatar
janetz janetz is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Berkshires Of MA
Posts: 9,880
Default Princess bus from Springfield, Ma?

Has anyone taken the Princess bus from Springfield, Ma? I am interested in the location pickup and the safety of leaving your car. Thanks.
__________________
Live to cruise!

Royal Princess 10 Night Repo Cruise

Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:20 PM
cruiser willy's Avatar
cruiser willy cruiser willy is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 779
Default

Hmmm. Springfield is kinda risky. I live in Wilbraham which is one town east of Springfield, and know the city VERY well. There are a couple of parking lots close to the bus and train stations. I've usually found that cruise-line sponsored bus transportation tends to leave from the street outside the main entrance to the TRAIN station, which is right around the corner from the BUS terminal. Neither area is very safe. I feel strongly that Springfield is one of the more seedy and dangerous cities in the northeast.
When are you cruising? Where are you sailing out of?
The police station is only a few blocks (short cab ride) from that area. You could consider parking in their lot for the week. It's probably the safest lot in town with all the officers coming and going. Depending on the time of day, you could actually drop your family and luggage off at either the train or bus station, drive to the police station, park your car and WALK back to join your family (the toughest adult male should do this). It would be a ten minute walk through an industrial area.
If money is no object, you can park at Ken's Parking on Dwight Street within steps from the train station where the cruise busses usually leave from. Your car will likely be moved to another place for the week, but will be back at the main lot at the specified time of your return.

Hope this helps.
__________________
3 off: Celeb.Summit,SanJuan-Carib,2/15
2 off: Celeb.Solstice,Hawaii,9/14
Next: Celeb.Summit,NY-Berm,5/14
Celeb.Silhouette,1/14,W.Carib
Celeb.Reflection,5/13,Italy,GreeceTurkey
NCL Gem,1/13 NY-Carib
NCL Jade,6/12,Venice-Greek Isles
NCL Gem,1/12,NY-Carib
Celeb.Silhouette,9/11,Italy,Israel,Greece
NCL Dawn,6/11,Boston-Berm-GARDEN VILLA
NCL Gem,2/11,NY-Baham
NCL Spirit,6/10,Boston-Berm
NCL Gem,2/10,NY-Baham
NCL Pearl,12/09,Christmas,E.Carib
MSC Orchestra,2/09,E.Carib
Costa Fortuna,2/08,W.Carib
NCL Majesty,7/07Boston-Berm
NCL Pearl,2/07,S.Carib
Costa Mediterranea,2/06,W.Carib
Caribbean Princess,2/05,E.Carib
RCL Grandeur,2/03, E.Carib
RCL Spendour,4/01,W.Carib
RCL Monarch,4/00,W.Carib
RCL Song/America,4/98,Berm
NCL Dreamward,4/97,Berm,1st w/kids
Rennaissance R1,10/96,Greece,Turkey
Premier-Rembrandt,10/95,Spain,France,Italy
Costa Classica,3/93,W.Carib
RCL Nordic Prince,4/88,S.Carib,Honeymoon
Carnival Holiday,2/87,E.Carib
Carnival Tropicale,2/86,E.Carib
Carnival Festivale,2/85,Bahamas
NCL Sunward II,3/84,Bahamas
NCL Norway,3/83,E.Carib
NCL Sunward II,3/82,Bahamas
HA Statendam,7/81,Berm
Cunard QE2,8/80,E.Carib
HL Oceanic,4/80,Nassau,St.Thom,P.R.
HA Rotterdam,8/79,Nassau/Berm
NCL Sunward II,4/79, Nassau/Berm
HA Rotterdam,4/78, E.Carib
RCL Song of Norway,4/77,Berm
Carnival Carnivale,4/76,Bahamas
HL Oceanic,4/75,E.Carib
HL Doric,4/74,Berm
Carnival Mardi Gras,4/73,E.Carib
Chandris/Celebrity Amerikanis,4/72,Berm
Greek Lines TSS Olympia,4/71,Nassau,St.Thom,P.R.
Greek Lines TSS Olympia,4/70,Nassau,St.Thom,P.R.
Italia Line Leonardo da Vinci,4/69,Berm
Cunard Franconia,4/68,Berm
Cunard Franconia,5/67,Berm
ECL Bahama Star,3/66,Nassau,age4
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:55 PM
janetz's Avatar
janetz janetz is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Berkshires Of MA
Posts: 9,880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser willy View Post
Hmmm. Springfield is kinda risky. I live in Wilbraham which is one town east of Springfield, and know the city VERY well. There are a couple of parking lots close to the bus and train stations. I've usually found that cruise-line sponsored bus transportation tends to leave from the street outside the main entrance to the TRAIN station, which is right around the corner from the BUS terminal. Neither area is very safe. I feel strongly that Springfield is one of the more seedy and dangerous cities in the northeast.
When are you cruising? Where are you sailing out of?
The police station is only a few blocks (short cab ride) from that area. You could consider parking in their lot for the week. It's probably the safest lot in town with all the officers coming and going. Depending on the time of day, you could actually drop your family and luggage off at either the train or bus station, drive to the police station, park your car and WALK back to join your family (the toughest adult male should do this). It would be a ten minute walk through an industrial area.
If money is no object, you can park at Ken's Parking on Dwight Street within steps from the train station where the cruise busses usually leave from. Your car will likely be moved to another place for the week, but will be back at the main lot at the specified time of your return.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. Since both couples have new vehicles, I guess we will drive it to NY. We are in Pittsfield and this is about what I expected to hear. Thanks again.
__________________
Live to cruise!

Royal Princess 10 Night Repo Cruise

Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old April 12th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Patrickfromchicopee Patrickfromchicopee is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oswego, NY
Posts: 92
Default Train ????

You could take a train from Pittsfield, MA to Albany, NY then one to NY penn station and stay at the www.redroofinn.com in Manhattan the night before it is 2 blocks south of Penn station. In morning of cruise take a cab to boat.
We are doing this only from SYracuse NY.
I agree with the others I grew up in western ma dont park there for that long.
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old April 12th, 2008, 08:09 PM
janetz's Avatar
janetz janetz is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Berkshires Of MA
Posts: 9,880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickfromchicopee View Post
You could take a train from Pittsfield, MA to Albany, NY then one to NY penn station and stay at the www.redroofinn.com in Manhattan the night before it is 2 blocks south of Penn station. In morning of cruise take a cab to boat.
We are doing this only from SYracuse NY.
I agree with the others I grew up in western ma dont park there for that long.

Thanks. There is an Amtrack from Pittsfield to NY that does not get in until late in the day. Albany is 45 minutes from us. Decided not to take the train anyways. We would need 3 taxi's (25.00 each way to port, plus tip). So we are driving. 2 cars.
__________________
Live to cruise!

Royal Princess 10 Night Repo Cruise

Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old April 12th, 2008, 11:19 PM
bobnatt's Avatar
bobnatt bobnatt is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Easton, Connecticut
Posts: 1,182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetz View Post
Thanks. There is an Amtrack from Pittsfield to NY that does not get in until late in the day. Albany is 45 minutes from us. Decided not to take the train anyways. We would need 3 taxi's (25.00 each way to port, plus tip). So we are driving. 2 cars.
You are making the right decision....
__________________
Bob from Connecticut

Statendam (the old one), Veendam (the old one), Volendam, Rotterdam (the old one), Prinsendam (the one that sunk) Niew Amsterdam, Noordam (the old one and the new one),
WindSurf, WindSpirit, Windstar, Star Princess, Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Maasdam, Queen Mary 2 (twice), Queen Victoria, Norwegian, Dawn (Yuch)
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old April 13th, 2008, 07:53 AM
janetz's Avatar
janetz janetz is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Berkshires Of MA
Posts: 9,880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnatt View Post
You are making the right decision....

We are sailing from Brooklyn on Memorial day so the traffic in the morning should be light, and one ship in port. Thanks again.
__________________
Live to cruise!

Royal Princess 10 Night Repo Cruise

Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:05 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.