Dominica

the english lady

Hi

I will be posting this on the ports of call thread, but I thought I would try here as well.

Has anyone who has done a Caribbean used any of these

http://www.bumpiingtours.com/tours_dominica.html

http://www.reynotours.com/tours.html

http://www.nietours.com/dominicatours.html

As we would only be doing a morning tour I don't think there would be a problem getting back to the ship on time.

you could pm me if you like..only thing is I have never had one so make take me a little while to work it out..:confused::confused:

In Dominica the first time we just got a tour from a taxi guy who was excellent, about $70 for the three of us. It's a beautiful lush island. The second time we wandered around the town, saw the market, had a long chat in the church with some lovely locals, really enjoyed it. Champagne beach is supposed to be good for snorkelling.

In St Marteen and St Kitts we preorganized independant tours which were a fraction of the ship's prices. Love the Caribbean.

We used Bumpiing Tours in February, it was a was a brilliant day including snorkeling on the champagne reef, sitting in hotpools (bliss) a tour round the botanical gardens and more. Levi who was our guide was absolutely brilliant.

Molly

We used Bumpiing tours and they were brilliant. The only thing was that we had to fill up the minibus with people from another ship, which caused us a bit of waiting around.

We didn't get Levi, much to my disappointment:(:D but our guide was great fun and we thoroughly enjoyed this beautiful island.

I think there are lots of mini buses out side the port and they will just take you where you want to go then wait and take you to the next place you want to see maybe this would be better than booking a tour:)

The main thing, in our experience, is that with the tours, either ship's or independent, prebooked or once ashore, the guides (independent usually the driver) are much better at providing a commentary as you drive around and more knowledgeable about their island and able to answer questions about such as geology, education system, the local economy and politics, than the taxi drivers.

The independent tour operators also know the power of the Internet and how any bad reviews could kill their business.

That some independent tours provide booze, no limit, does not influence this post, no siree.

Thank you for the replies so far.

We are hoping to work out a tour where we don't get wet!!

Not really into snorkling (have never done it) and OH cannot swim..

Just really wanted a drive around-OH would like to visit the Indian village.

A lot do seem to do swimming in pools, waterfalls etc...we do not really want that.

A lot do seem to do swimming in pools, waterfalls etc...we do not really want that.

Hi English Lady, I would be interested in what independent tour you find as we will be in Dominica in January 2015 and, like you, don't want a tour where you get wet - my OH cannot swim either!! We're on Ventura sailing from Barbados on 3rd Jan but so far our Roll Call is tiny (:eek:) so not much help!!! We've only previously sailed with Princess where the roll calls are massive and provided loads of advice!!! Here's hoping it picks up!

Catherine :D

Bumpiing tours do trips without swimming being involved. If you email Levi (his email address is on his website), I am sure he will do his best to accommodate you.

Molly

Had fabulous time /excursion with Reyno Tours

General Tour is about 4 to 5 hours.

Entails a 40 minutes drive from the Capital Roseau through West Coast Route into the Layou Valley Rain Forest, 15 minutes stop at Mr Nice Fruit Stand, 40 minute stop at the Emerald Pool , 20 stop at the Jaco Falls, 1 hour stop at the Mero Beach then back to the Ship.

it was our first cruise with Sea Princess cant recall how much it cost but was reasonable for 4 tourist :rolleyes: