Please help me plan our day

ShotsnCruises

My husband and myself will be on Dominica in February (During Carnival) on the Silver Wind. Our ship is in port until 11pm.

I have been to Dominica many times, however not with my hubby. I have been cannoning, through Titu Gorge, to Trafalgar falls, botanical gardens, and spas.

My husband is not up for quite as much of an adventure and would prefer to stay dry for the day. I have not had any luck reaching out to the "popular" tour guides for a quoted price (Levi wanted $400 for just the two of us) on what to do, so I am hoping you experienced cruise friends can help.

We are up for an island tour, see Mr. Nice's fruit stand, would like to have a local lunch, stay dry, and do some "easy" trail walking if necessary. Nothing vigorous. We are looking to spend $65 per person or less (not counting paying for food).

Are we better off just getting off the ship and negotiating with a taxi driver?

My husband and myself will be on Dominica in February (During Carnival) on the Silver Wind. Our ship is in port until 11pm. I have been to Dominica many times, however not with my hubby. I have been cannoning, through Titu Gorge, to Trafalgar falls, botanical gardens, and spas. My husband is not up for quite as much of an adventure and would prefer to stay dry for the day. I have not had any luck reaching out to the "popular" tour guides for a quoted price (Levi wanted $400 for just the two of us) on what to do, so I am hoping you experienced cruise friends can help. We are up for an island tour, see Mr. Nice's fruit stand, would like to have a local lunch, stay dry, and do some "easy" trail walking if necessary. Nothing vigorous. We are looking to spend $65 per person or less (not counting paying for food). Are we better off just getting off the ship and negotiating with a taxi driver?

Are you going to be visiting Dominica on Silversea's Silver Wind? That is the sister ship to the Silver Cloud that took us to this and other Caribbean islands in early 2015. Below is my full live/blog with lots of nice visuals for what we saw and did on this scenic and very interesting island. Including their wonderful Carnival celebrations!!

Great that you have had much experience on this wonderful, scenic island!! We were really surprised to discover the "wonders" here and to get to sample much with the residents here. Have you checked what excursions that the ship will offer? We were very happy with the "river tubing" that we did through Silversea. BUT, that $65 desired pricing range might be a little low compared with that luxury line normally charges. Thoughts, reactions, added information, etc.?

Do not miss the Carnival parade in their largest town!! Below are a few of my sample pictures for what we super experienced and enjoyed.

For “Dominica Love: Our Experience, Pictures”, check out this posting:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2253384

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 42,229 views for these postings.

Here are a few of my photo samples from Dominica's wonderful Carnival parade and celebration yesterday. One of the super big pluses was having it done and twisting in and around their old, historic area of their downtown. So much unique history to bring back there from the "old days" feel that was apart of this island's past.:

DominicaA1_zpsatkds60b.jpg

DominicaA3_zps2yg6tduc.jpg

DominicaA5_zpshg7fkxaj.jpg

DominicaA6_zpsxnpqp9fy.jpg

After being on the very dry and river-less islands in the Dutch ABC's, we got to enjoy river fun in Dominica. It was nice to see some the wonderful trees, mountains, etc. No, I did not take my good Nikon D7100 camera on this trip. My Nikon water and shock-proof model worked very well . . . and survived. I was the first to tumble out of my yellow tube and get stranded in this wild and rocky river. For the sixteen of us, there were four very agile staff members to help us, keep us from serious injury, etc. Yes, we needed these protective helmets and vests, plus a camera designed for these challenging circumstances.:

DominicaA24_zps3hozhtmj.jpg

Thank you for the suggestions and the beautiful pictures. I have read your reviews in the past! While I would love to go river tubing, my husband is less than thrilled about that level of adventure! Do you have any experience with taxi drivers on Dominica?

Sorry, no taxi experiences there. Our ship had a free shuttle from the docking area to the main downtown and back. That was helpful and good. Understand that husband might not be up for that level of river tubing "adventure". BUT, it worked well for us and the others on this excursion from our ship. Most of those doing this trip were in their 60's and 70's. The staff did a nice job looking out for and taking care of the folks doing their excursion.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 155,490 views for this posting.