Costa Serana from Barcelona - formal nights

tartancruisers

Going on the 7 night Barcelona-Marseilles-Savona-Rome-Naples-Palma. In view of the variety of boarding days anyone know what day the fomals are? In particular could it be the first night and should we leave kilt outfit in carry on or would it get delivered in time?

Formal night is never the first night. You will be fine to have formals in checked baggage. Prob the first formal night will be the night between naples and palma - the last- Marseille as its a 5pm departure. Actually, your first formal could be Marseilles- thats the problem with circle cruises, what becomes some people's welcome gala is others farewell... nuts with three embarkation points. Highly unlikely to be barcelona - departure is later.

We have always taken my husbands kilt and full regalia, its a good idea though to pack a fake skean dhu - Under xray - it appears as a regular knife - ie dangerous weapon - and can mean your luggage being opened up etc. On cruises we take a fake (as much as we dont want to!).

When are you cruising?

Edited by Blondie008

We are just back from the Costa Serena and "Formal Night" was on the last night. To be honest hardly anyone bothered with formal attire and despite what they say there was some male in shorts and a vest top in the MDR so that was the accepted standard. That basically shows how casual the MDR is but if you wish to dress then feel free to do so.

We did not take formal dress but wore smart outfits at dinner and only saw 1 person in a tux.

If you drink at all then consider the AI drinks package as it is a bargain.

Enjoy.

We were on Costa Serena earlier this month and the formal night was on our last night which was the only sea day which I think is why they chose it. Quite a few older men wore suits and ties and women were quite dressed up but not what I'd call evening dresses or cocktail dresses.Quite a few people were very casual (scruffy). My husband wore his dinner suit because he likes wearing it but very few others did (apart from the waiters that is - I kept expecting people to ask him to bring them a drink!)

A word of warning - the buffet closed after afternoon tea at 5pm and you couldn't get a free cup of coffee or tea or even a drink of water after that time - they were actually shutting the machines down on the dot of 5 o'clock as people were filling their mugs. You could of course BUY these from a bar. Bit of a shock when you're used to 24 hour buffets.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes I realise that formal night is not normally first night but most days will be first night for some as boarding takes place at most ports of call.Yes it is a plastic dagger pity

Can you confirm how many formal nights there was (boarding Barcelona) - If there is only one Gala night, doesnt seem much point in packing my DHs kilt. One or two? If only one will just pack a dj and tartan cummerbund - not worth bringing the whole regalia for one night :confused:

Can you confirm how many formal nights there was (boarding Barcelona) - If there is only one Gala night, doesnt seem much point in packing my DHs kilt. One or two? If only one will just pack a dj and tartan cummerbund - not worth bringing the whole regalia for one night :confused:

What am I thinking :confused:

We board in Civittavecia(sp) Our other booked cruise departs Barcelona

Dear me :-/

Hi Blondie

when are you going. I board 2 weeks from today. Last year myself and my parents, dressed for dinner every night- and we weren't the only ones. I am taking three long dresses and 4 cocktail length. Mum doing the same. Dad wears his Tux most night on board. When else do we get to dress up? Have been known to stay in formal wear for dinner and show, and then change for dancing, depends on theme of night and how I am feeling.

Usually 2 Gala nights on a 7 night cruise

Hard to know when they will be on this one as people embarking and disembarking , Rome, Naples, Barcelona, Marseilles and Savona. But think the day at sea ( so night three for us) is a safe bet. Mallorca and Barcelona both have excursions on offer including evening meals, so prob not those nights. But Who knows - its Costa!!! ( Which is Fun)

Hi Blondie

when are you going. I board 2 weeks from today. Last year myself and my parents, dressed for dinner every night- and we weren't the only ones. I am taking three long dresses and 4 cocktail length. Mum doing the same. Dad wears his Tux most night on board. When else do we get to dress up? Have been known to stay in formal wear for dinner and show, and then change for dancing, depends on theme of night and how I am feeling.

Usually 2 Gala nights on a 7 night cruise

Hard to know when they will be on this one as people embarking and disembarking , Rome, Naples, Barcelona, Marseilles and Savona. But think the day at sea ( so night three for us) is a safe bet. Mallorca and Barcelona both have excursions on offer including evening meals, so prob not those nights. But Who knows - its Costa!!! ( Which is Fun)

Hi LP - we board in three weeks - so as you get off we get on.

Thank you for your input - think we will go as always - on the dressier side (as you do). I was just a bit put off by this thread which seems to say only one gala night? I have always known 2 on a 7 day costa - even on our Magica cruise which had a four port embarkation. Think we will just do our own thing whatever - As you say, we dont get much chance for glam at home :)

Have fun !! Enjoy the countdown!! Im one week behind you!

• 2 weeks later...

We did Serena in april and we had one gala night (last day) and there was one elegant night. Actually there were not many people dressed in formal clothes. No tux or evening gowns. A few suits and cocktail dresses. But most people were dressed casually. So it is up to you.

They have also other nights with attire suggestions like: white, or green en red or black and white. It is to see many people in red en green.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We did Serena in april and we had one gala night (last day) and there was one elegant night. Actually there were not many people dressed in formal clothes. No tux or evening gowns. A few suits and cocktail dresses. But most people were dressed casually. So it is up to you.

They have also other nights with attire suggestions like: white, or green en red or black and white. It is to see many people in red en green.

Yes, agree. Most people seem to wear smart casual and very nice they look too. Not seen anyone wearing a long dress on Costa.

Yes, agree. Most people seem to wear smart casual and very nice they look too. Not seen anyone wearing a long dress on Costa.

Really?? Last three cruises I have been on with Costa I have seen many full length gowns, tuxes, djs etc. "Most people" were dressed "up" rather than on the casual side on our cruises..

Just started looking out my wardrobe today - I dont do "smart casual" for dinner out at home, certainly dont plan in doing so on a cruise

Cocktail style for me on "regular" nights, and maxi dresses (maxi can be casual now although I am taking the dressier kind) on any elegant nights.

Each to their own.

Assuming you meant Red, White & Green for Italian night - but "Black & White"? can you recall what the event was for that suggested dress code?

Assuming you meant Red, White & Green for Italian night - but "Black & White"? can you recall what the event was for that suggested dress code?

No indeed I checked the "todays" and it was not black and white but black & red. There was also a white night and the red, white & green night.