Footwear to the Baths/Virgin Gorda

readruntravel

I'm trying to figure out the best footwear for exploring the Baths. I've done a search and found people recommending everything from water shoes to sneakers to flip flops to even barefoot. Obviously there's no one answer, but I'm just looking for some advice for my situation.

I injured my knee a couple months ago (tore a ligament) and I'm just about at the point where I can walk normally. I can go up stairs, but still have some trouble going down stairs. I was all set to skip the Baths and just do a beach day, but when I mentioned it to my physical therapist she said it would be a shame to go all that way and miss it. She's been before and thinks I can handle it.

Now I'm trying to figure out what shoes would be best. I wish I had a pair of something like Keen or Teva sandals as those seem like the best option but I leave in 11 days and don't have time to go out hunting for new shoes and then breaking them in.

Flip flops seem like a terrible option because I was wearing flip flops and slipped on a wet tile, which is what caused my knee injury in the first place. I'm worried about slippery spots, plus I still have a mental hang up about flip flops and water.

I'm thinking about bringing an old pair of sneakers. I've read there are places where you have to wade through water, but I would either take off the sneakers and go barefoot through those spots, or just get them wet and throw them away afterward.

Any advice?

I'd feel better with a pair of water shoes. A decent pair doesn't cost much and they have a sole for walking the path and probably better grip than an old pair of sneakers. I've found my old sneakers to be very unsafe when it comes to slipping...:eek:

The water shoes are also great for beaches and other watersports where there may be rocks or worse

• 3 weeks later...

Following a really bad back injury in which I had to have a spinal fusion, I'm very careful about the shoes I wear. I buy Keen sandals each summer and love them for cruising and the beach and other excursions. They are a durable, sporty, comfortable sandal that dry quickly. You might look into a pair - they have men, women and kids. My kids wear them too for cruising. At home, I throw them in the washing machine on delicate then air dry.

Here are the style I buy:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008J4SBMS/ref=twister_B008JE8WUY

Edited to add: Sorry I guess I'm too late posting - I think you are already gone. Hope you found something you liked that works well!!!

Edited by 2specialkidsforme

Following a really bad back injury in which I had to have a spinal fusion, I'm very careful about the shoes I wear. I buy Keen sandals each summer and love them for cruising and the beach and other excursions. They are a durable, sporty, comfortable sandal that dry quickly. You might look into a pair - they have men, women and kids. My kids wear them too for cruising. At home, I throw them in the washing machine on delicate then air dry.

Here are the style I buy:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008J4SBMS/ref=twister_B008JE8WUY

Edited to add: Sorry I guess I'm too late posting - I think you are already gone. Hope you found something you liked that works well!!!

That is a great choice though, and the toe protection with this style is great too. Clumsy people like me tend to stub our toes!:p

Thanks for sharing!

That is a great choice though, and the toe protection with this style is great too. Clumsy people like me tend to stub our toes!:p

Thanks for sharing!

I'm the same way so love the closed toe!!! What I like about this style of Keens vs a style they have called whisper is this style is more open so your feet really can "breathe" well in them.

Edited by 2specialkidsforme

Figured I'd report back. I bought a pair of water shoes, but ended up not using them. I went down the Devil's Bay side in my regular sandals. Then just went barefoot back up through the baths. A good pair of hiking sandals like Keen's would definitely be beneficial, but it's possible without them.