Maple Syrup

eeyore81

If you enjoy a lot of history, it was very informative. Of all the tours we took, it was probably my least favorite. Just too many places to go and not a whole lot of time to see everything. For example, they dropped us off at the Historic Marketplace for 55 min. so that we could shop and get something to eat. They suggested that we get something 'to go' and eat on the bus. Most of the restaurants were about a 10 min walk from the bus and it was "lunchtime". Most of us only had time to eat and take a bathroom break, then head back to the bus! Would have loved to have spent more time there on the harbor. LOVED Peggy's cove and was definitely the highlight of the tour. We had about an hour there. (still wasn't enough).

The tour went like this... Stopped at a beautiful garden for a Guided tour - 40 min.

Citadel - 15 min. just long enough to take pictures of the guard and scenic shots of downtown.

Historic marketplace 55 min. shop, eat, and restroom.

Peggy's cove 1 hr.

Maple Factory 30 min. saw a film before being allowed to shop.

Titanic grave site 45 min. guided tour.

Back to ship total time 7 hours. I did get a nap in on our way to Peggy's cove.

It was really a lovely tour just wasn't really my cup of tea.

We stopped there on our way back from Peggy's cove. We took the top 10 of Halifax.

Maple syrup is produced at farms all over Maine Vermont and Canada in the late winter/early spring. There are no factories per se and not much to see at the farms now as they are simply not making syrup except for a small window of weeks as mentioned above. If you are buying, you will find it plentiful in all the tourist shops and even grocery stores and the price is not too variable. Plan to spend some money. That said, there is nothing like real maple syrup and once you have it, you will never want the junk sold as pancake or breakfast syrup.

There are different grades of real maple syrup.

Grade A (also called fancy) is my favorite by far. It is the first syrup of the season typically and is lighter in flavor.

Grade B is the later batches and is darker and tastes much like carmel. It also contains more nutrients then grade A due to being taken later in the year after the easy run off grade a syrup comes out.

Grade C syrup is the last of the last and is typically only used commercially in cooking. I've never tasted this strait but I'd imagine it tastes much like molasses if I had to guess.

One last thing. If you can't get maple syrup where you live, don't leave New England or Canada without it. :)

Maple syrup is produced at farms all over Maine Vermont and Canada in the late winter/early spring. There are no factories per se and not much to see at the farms now as they are simply not making syrup except for a small window of weeks as mentioned above. If you are buying, you will find it plentiful in all the tourist shops and even grocery stores and the price is not too variable. Plan to spend some money. That said, there is nothing like real maple syrup and once you have it, you will never want the junk sold as pancake or breakfast syrup.

There are different grades of real maple syrup.

Grade A (also called fancy) is my favorite by far. It is the first syrup of the season typically and is lighter in flavor.

Grade B is the later batches and is darker and tastes much like carmel. It also contains more nutrients then grade A due to being taken later in the year after the easy run off grade a syrup comes out.

Grade C syrup is the last of the last and is typically only used commercially in cooking. I've never tasted this strait but I'd imagine it tastes much like molasses if I had to guess.

One last thing. If you can't get maple syrup where you live, don't leave New England or Canada without it. :)

Yes, that is basically what they told us at that Maple store we went to. DH actually liked the darkest variety the best. What I liked about the store we stopped at was all the varieties of maple products available. Otherwise, anybody just wanting some maple syrup....go to Costco and pick up Kirkland Maple Syrup (Grade A Medium amber) that says "product of Canada" on the back.:rolleyes: Much better price!:D

Donder1 - As it turned out, I bought all my maple sugar in Maine...products of Maine and Vermont!

INVEST IN AMERICA....BUY AMERICAN PRODUCTS!!

Good for you!! Maine loves your business. BTW, the foliage is getting quite beautiful this week.

We were wanting to stop by the maple syrup store/factory. Can anyone tell me where it is located? I am trying to find a tour that stops here. Thanks!

I believe you might be talking about the maple store that is right at the turn off to Peggy's cove.... near the intersection of 333 & 3. I was thinking of stopping there with my family on the way from the cove. (BTW, we're on the same ship as you, I recognized you from our roll call). See acadianmaple.com

I believe you might be talking about the maple store that is right at the turn off to Peggy's cove.... near the intersection of 333 & 3. I was thinking of stopping there with my family on the way from the cove. (BTW, we're on the same ship as you, I recognized you from our roll call). See acadianmaple.com

I bet you are correct. I don't really know what I am talking about. My parents are on the Explorer now and said they stopped at a maple syrup store. They did the Halifax Top 10. They loved Peggy's Cove but not really the tour. Any thoughts on a tour that goes to Peggy's Cove and the maple syrup place. Counting down the days!!!!

I bet you are correct. I don't really know what I am talking about. My parents are on the Explorer now and said they stopped at a maple syrup store. They did the Halifax Top 10. They loved Peggy's Cove but not really the tour. Any thoughts on a tour that goes to Peggy's Cove and the maple syrup place. Counting down the days!!!!

You could do both if you rent a car or taxi?

• 2 weeks later...
We are renting a car in Halifax. Where exactly is the maple syrup store? Sounds like a "must see" to me!

We just came back from our cruise and that's exactly what we did. We drove to Peggy's cove and then continued the loop clockwise on 333 around the cape, passing by the Swiss Air memorial and then some little coastal towns. Just before 333 meets up with 3 again, Acadian Maple Products was on the left. It's not a huge place but had a nice selection of maple products and other gifts. (They had free samples too.)

anybody just wanting some maple syrup....go to Costco and pick up Kirkland Maple Syrup (Grade A Medium amber) that says "product of Canada" on the back.:rolleyes: Much better price!:D

This is where we buy ours, in Edinburgh Scotland, good to know on my planned Canada/New England tour I wont need to spend time searching out the "real McCoy"

Had some "Scottish Pancakes with maple syrup" in the dining room on P&O Azura last week, the pancakes were not Scottish (Scotch), nor was the syrup maple.:eek:

Archived