Duty Free Cruise

Hi, just a quickie, can anyone tell me if this cruise is "duty free"?:D

Thomson Majesty, Aegean Delights ~ Corfu Town, Mykonos Town, Kusadasi, Athens, Monemvasia, Katakolon, Corfu Town

Thanks,

Charabanc :)

The duty free doesn't open in EU waters so won't be open in Greek waters but will be in Turkish waters.

The cruise news will tell you if the duty free shops are open or closed and at what times.

They also have special promotions of 20% off.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies.

So does that mean that if I wanted a cheap bottle of something special for my cabin, I will have to wait until we are near Kusadssi, and the shop open for possibly only one day?

Thanks.

Yes it does but you can buy it on shore because you will pay the Greek duty on it or take a bottle in your case.

I am not sure what the exact regulations are in terms of distance away from port but I think I remember it being open the evening we left Santorini.

We have been on Med cruises where it hasn't been open at all. I must admit we were taken by surprise the first time that happened but we were AI anyway but it was for ciggies, which thankfully were sold in the bars by the packet so more expensive than the duty free but still a lot cheaper than at home.

Edited by Little Nell

this is how I believe it works (granted i am not an expert on this and it is rather complicated)

within the eu you will pay the duty applicable to that eu country so you wont get anything duty free (still usually cheaper then UK tho)

if the ship will be visiting a non eu country (during the cruise)....(ie turkey) duty frees will be available on the ship

and you can purchase duty free items at duty free shops in port(s) (they dont know where you are going)

the problem will arise when you attempt to re import duty free items back into an eu country (ie greece or UK) if the items are duty free then your limits will apply....if they are tax free (duty paid) from another eu country then you can bring in unlimited amounts for your own consumption (it will say somewhere on the packet/bottle whether it is duty paid or not)

Our first cruise in 2011 was the Meditteraean Medley and the shops on board sold alcohol. However the following year on a similar itinery no alcohol was in the shop and we were told it was because we were in EU waters. No one could explain why we bought this the previous year. Then last year again in the Med there was alcohol at the start of the criuise. But this was maybe due to it being the first week back in EU after the TA crossing. It must just be a Thomson thing cause alcohol is sold on cross channel ferries.

the alcohol sold on cross channel ferries is not duty free...its tax free (vat free)

You are correct and its the same with shops in airports. But what I don't understand is why in EU waters alcohol (full stop) is not sold in Thomson ship shops. But it used to be, only back in 2011.

i suspect agreements with the various ports they are visiting?...maybe legislation changes...maybe brussels directives...or perhaps weather they will be entering international waters or not...tbh I find the whole system (tax/duty/whatever) very complicated and confusing nowadays (v difficult to keep a handle on it?):confused: